Wabbitdads Wabbit Herd 2009

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally un bun related. The Air Force wasn't supposed to send him home on Monday. He was contacted and told he would receive orders and a plane ticket back to Lackland AFB, San Antonio Texas. He goes back on Labor Day. He was only supposed to move out of the training barracks to a dormatory on Monday. His technical school starts in a couple of weeks.

We are enjoying his brief visit home and I know his girlfriend is too.

Just thought you'd like to know - Nyx (Houdini) is 8 pounds and 9 ounces....

Sweetie, looked at me today as if to say where is my girl? I then explained that she is in Texas with her new hoomin mommy and is getting all the oats she wants and has plenty of buns to play with. She then nudge my hand for some head pets and then looked very happy and relaxed. Sweetie then layed near the entrance to her cage and watched her boys binky and explore the bunny room.

Last night, I had to make up with my bunny Nibbles. Since I got back from Texas I have not spent time with her other then some nose rubs and talking to her when I feed and water the rabbits. I got Niblet out of her abode and took her out to the living room and she got a good brushing and her nails trimmed. She laid on my chest for a very long time enjoying the loving she was receiving.

I asked Karen if Nibby looked ok, I said she is not acting like her normal self when I bring her out into the living room. Well I stopped petting her and she hopped off my chest, thumped me while on the couch and hopped off onto the floor. I said ok Nibbles let me pick you up and give you some more attention and she kept running away from be and didn't stop until we were back into the bunny room.

When I went into the bunny room to hand out treats, it didn't look right. Then I realized it was the big hole that once had Thumpers cage in it. I reached up to get the banana chips and heard the rustling of bunny's eager for their treat. Rudy's cage door was open and he hopped out, he usually does because he can't wait his turn, he came over to where I was (the spot where Thumpers cage was) and instead of asking for his treat he looked for Thumper. He sniffed all around, telescoped, he even stretched to look into Oreo's cage. He hopped around still searching the room. He hopped towards his cage and telescoped looking into the cages on the second level hoping to see Thumper. Finally I reached down and said here Rudy, here's your banana chip. Normally he will take it and hop into his cage to dine, but instead he stayed near where Thumpers was and nibbled on it.

Karen got little Blue out and she is such a sweetie, she enjoyed her time out in the living room too.

When I was cleaning cages, I let out Sweeties two boys, she was at the front of her cage waiting to be let out. I have been letting her out to play with the black flemmies since they were all little kits. She knows when she sees them its PLAYTIME! So while I was taking down Thumpers cage and cleaning some of the others, I was entertained with speed binky's, jumping binkys, twisting binkys and many others. They all had a good time.

Reminds me of when Sam passed. Everyone seemed to look for her. It was hard to watch. :tears2::hug:

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
I then explained that she is in Texas with her new hoomin mommy and is getting all the oats she wants
Ha ha...

We moved the oats so she couldn't get into them.

I just caught her getting into the calf manna instead....I keep it in a coffee can and carry it around with me when I feed the flemmies - I'd put it down on the hay and she found it.

I got pics - I'll share later...but if you can imagine her with her head stuck halfway into a large folger's container....

Priceless...

But where is that SWEET INNOCENT girl I thought I was getting???

You switched her on the plane....right? Or they XRayed her and changed her...?

:biggrin2:

Well, I worked on my list of things I wanted to get done today and completed most of them. So, Karen was checking the inside of her eyelids for cracks, I took the camera and went into the bunny room. I placed thecamera in continuous shoot mode and let Little Blue and Velvet out. I took, according to the counter, almost 400 hundredpictures. Yes that is right 400 hundred, she may haveproblems with herfront legs, but it does not hinder her mobility. Out of the pictures I took, 22 were usable sort of. These were the least blury of the lot.

In some of these you will have to look close, you will notice a shadow of where she was when the camera took the picture. The camera wastaking almost 2 pictures per second and it still couldn't capture her.

I did get one binky, blurry as it is, of her going straight up.

Dave

DSCN0734.jpg

Now you see me

DSCN0784.jpg

Now you don't (notice the faint image of a bun)

bunnywashere.jpg

Blurry binky

DSCN0794.jpg

Tired little blue bunny

DSCN1183.jpg

I see you!

DSCN0834.jpg

Yesterday Caddyshack was on tv and while watch it, Karen (wabbitmom), saw the gopher and said that looks like Carmel!

So here is a side by side comparison. I guess there is a resemblence.

Carmel11-22-08F.jpg
gopher.jpg

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Tired little blue bunny

DSCN1183.jpg
oh wow - she's cute. I didn't realize she has what is called "splay legs" - you may want to read up on it...we had a lionhead that had that and lived to be about 18 months or so? Maybe older - I don't remember.

I have read some things on splayed legs, but what I have read in the past always discussed the hind legs. I want her to live a long and healthy life, so I am going to dive more into this. Thanks Peg

Dave - this was Radagast - he was fortunate in the fact that he had a splay leg on either side..

DSCN2904.jpg

DSCN2912.jpg

This is a video of Radagast before we realized that what he had was splayed legs...see how fast he is?

My point is - she can have a good life - it will probably be shorter than usual (I'm guessing a year or maybe two at most...) because of the pressure on her abdomen, etc.

I hate to sound negative - I really do. But I just wanted you to know that and be prepared and knwo that she can have a good life.

I know what you are talking about. She has no mobility issues, keeps herself up and she is fast. That's why I could not get a clear picture of her running or doing a speed binky! Just a blue blur.:run:

Last night Karen and I had Dutches and Baby bunny's out. They both snuggled with us through an episode of the Band of Brothers. Except I didn't appreciate Baby pointing out some historical inaccuracies in the movie, why she couldn't just let me enjoy the movie?

When it was treat time, all the buns came and sat the front of their cages, some more patiently then others. Some like Rudy came out and got his treat right away and went back to his house to munch it down. He was a good boy though and didn't try and get seconds.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Last night Karen and I had Dutches and Baby bunny's out. They both snuggled with us through an episode of the Band of Brothers. Except I didn't appreciate Baby pointing out some historical inaccuracies in the movie, why she couldn't just let me enjoy the movie?

Oh boy - do I get that....only its Eric who does that all the time...telling me how a scene in Leverage where two computer gurus have a "matchup" in a parking lot with cowboy music going on....doesn't work cause one guy doesn't have a monitor. Just give me a break and let me enjoy the story...know what I mean?

I'm thinking about watching BOB...Eric showed us the first episode last week - he's watched it several times. I told him I'm thinking about getting him the dvd's for Christmas and he got pretty happy....

I asked Nyx about her mamma and she went over to Sophia and was like, 'You mean her?". Sophia then groomed her....

I just can't get over how personable Nyx is - largely because she was raised in a HOME and not just in a cage.

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Well Nyx could always get an extra treat from me somehow.

Hmm...she already helps herself to the oats, the calf manna and the hay....

Not sure if she needs more for treats than her daily carrot and some other stuff...

She's currently pitching a fit in her cage and pouting because it is the boys' turn to play...

Probably he used it on his mom so much when he was growing up - he actually believes it now?

Latest posts

Back