wood chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, I have a bunny who is about 1 week pregnant, and I noticed in the last couple of days, she has been chewing wood in the corners of her pen, I've never seen her eat it, she just chews and chews and leaves the little wood bits in a pile on the floor. She has heaps of hay and grass to eat, a big area to dig in, and I give her veggies. She has a nest box and the other day was hay stashing. However, my other Bunny when she was pregnant didn't chew the wood.

I wonder if this massive chewing spree is part of the natural burrowing and digging instinct. I have cardboard in her pen she can chew up, which she rips up sometimes, but she has just started chewing on the wood intensely, it seems to mainly happen in the corner areas. I just never saw this in my other pregnant doe
My cousin did tell me a couple of his did this for a bit.

Just wondering if she might need a vitamin or mineral, or if this is just natural burrowing thing she is trying to do.

Thank you Larahebert, she stopped chewing wood in the last couple of days, she doesn't seem stressed at all, just busily keeping her nest in the state and shape she wants it in.
Thank you my first guess was natural nesting instinct, but I just wanted to ensure it wasn't a mineral and vitamin defficiency. She is eating well, her poos are all good and she doesn't seem stressed, so I think she is all good.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back