FUR MITES???!! What to do??!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oohhhh I'm freaking out. These are fur mites aren't they? (Pics attached) She isn't excessively itchy and hasn't had fur loss, but... I don't know what else it could be. These little brown dots in her fur, concentrated on her tail but spread around her back, and a bit of white dandruff is left on my fingers when petting. They don't seem to move much but my vision is also kind of poor so I have trouble focusing on them (so I can't tell).1000015132.jpg
Above pic is the end of the tail where the most are... Other attached pics are 2) the tail, again and 3) the back where they are more sparse.

How can I fix this?! Is there a treatment I can use? I have a pet dog, a few chickens, AND I work with dogs, I don't want to get them infested too. Can they carry on people/clothes/furniture?? Should I treat my dog too, just in case?

Alice lived in my room. I'm setting up her cage in the mudroom again because I don't want her in the house with the dog (the room never gets too hot or cold so she will be safe). Are there mites in my room? I have a loft bed and her litter box was under it. Should I just burn my entire room? What do I do!! She has not been allowed on my bed for months btw but I'm afraid I might have carried the bugs into my bed. I'm not itchy at all but I'm a hypochondriac so it's making me nervous.

Should I get her new hay, is it a problem with that? This is extremely recent as I brushed her about a week ago and did a full home wellness check ~5 days ago and she was fine, but I bought a new bag of hay a week ago and just noticed this. Planning to disinfect her litterbox, dishes, and wash her sleeping mat/blanket. What else should I do!! HELP!!!

Attachments

• 20240829_172320.jpg
    20240829_172320.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240829_172401.jpg
    20240829_172401.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Research says to use selamectin (Revolution or Revolt for puppies/kittens), is that okay? What's the dosage? She's like 3.8 pounds I think. Should I do the same for my dog? She is 25 lbs so obviously I'd find one for her size. Where do I apply it on them?

If they're moving, mites or maybe some other insect. Not moving, flea dirt or possibly eggs. Revolution (selamectin) is the usual recommended rabbit safe treatment, and will treat both mites and fleas (18mg/kg topical spot on application) and kill other pests with exoskeletons as well. It's spot on topically applied between the shoulders (follow package instructions). The dosage is different for rabbits though. They require a higher dose of 18mg/kg due to a faster metabolism.

Ivermectin will treat mites, but needs accurate dosing by a knowledgeable rabbit vet preferably, as there's more risk of an OD from incorrect dosing.

If in doubt, always consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

https://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Mites

Just from what I can see in the photos, those don't seem like mites or fleas, which primarily live on the skin and affect the skin, suck blood. Those appear to be in the fur, and may be some sort of gnat. If so, they may just be more annoying than anything else. And I don't know if a Revolution treatment would do anything, since they aren't on the skin where the antiparasitic can affect them.

You could try wiping the fur with a washcloth damp with a water/vinegar mix. That may kill them. Unfortunately there aren't really any animal bug sprays that are considered rabbit safe.

Also see if there is a source they're getting on your rabbit from, like hay, bedding, litter box, anything damp or wet consistently in your home.

And if in doubt, consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian

It's advisable to observe your rabbit's behavior a/nd avoid panic.(edited by moderator).Regula rly checking the quality of hay and avoiding damp areas is allso important ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back