Swollen toes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetaRayn

Reaction score
Hello

My five years old rabbit had a swollen toes and I took him to the vet, he give him a sudocream only. I started the treatment but the process is very slow to heal. After one and half month the swollen has get smaller and some toes is fully heal and the redness gone. But some toes are still swollen abit. my question is the swollen toes heal very slow or should I see another vet?

P.S he is perfectly fine play and eat normally.

Did the vet determine a cause for the swollen toes? Rabbits toes won't just be swollen without there being a very specific medical issue like an infection or possibly mange mites. Could you maybe post a close up photo of the swollen toes? If you have a picture from before treatment was started, that would be good too.

Did the vet determine a cause for the swollen toes? Rabbits toes won't just be swollen without there being a very specific medical issue like an infection or possibly mange mites. Could you maybe post a close up photo of the swollen toes? If you have a picture from before treatment was started, that would be good too.,He just he just give to me and said it will heal. I checked if he has mites but he didn't has any.

Did the vet determine a cause for the swollen toes? Rabbits toes won't just be swollen without there being a very specific medical issue like an infection or possibly mange mites. Could you maybe post a close up photo of the swollen toes? If you have a picture from before treatment was started, that would be good too.
He said maybe the floor is too hard for his feet, I made extra bedding for him but my rabbit won't like it and stated to remove it. the vet just give me the ointment and said it will heal. I checked if he has mites but he didn't has any.

Attachments

• 1717786533430.jpg
    1717786533430.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I don't think the toes look swollen, just that the fur has rubbed off, possibly due to abrasion from the flooring surface, making the skin on the toes visible.

The sudocream may help some, but persistent abrasion is going to prevent it from completely getting better, if your rabbits flooring is the cause. If there are any sores on the skin, as there appears to be on that one toe in the photo, this also is a risk for possible infection/abscess. So that needs to be monitored closely. And if you notice any crusty lesions developing, this could mean there is a fungal skin infection causing this fur loss, or possibly mites, instead of from abrasion with the flooring.

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Pod/Podo.htm

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Fungal/Fungal_en.htm

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

Keeping the nails trimmed regularly should help some, but it may come down to either changing flooring surfaces, or trying rabbit safe soft booties/socks to protect the feet, if the floor abrasion is the cause of the fur loss and sores, and not a skin condition. Though if bandaging or socks are used, it's absolutely essential it's done correctly and blood flow to the foot is good after the bandage is applied. Anything too restrictive on the foot can cut off blood flow, which could result in serious injury to the affected foot. Though the problem being on the front feet, may make bandaging not a possibility, or at least difficult.

I don't think the toes look swollen, just that the fur has rubbed off, possibly due to abrasion from the flooring surface, making the skin on the toes visible.

The sudocream may help some, but persistent abrasion is going to prevent it from completely getting better, if your rabbits flooring is the cause. If there are any sores on the skin, as there appears to be on that one toe in the photo, this also is a risk for possible infection/abscess. So that needs to be monitored closely. And if you notice any crusty lesions developing, this could mean there is a fungal skin infection causing this fur loss, or possibly mites, instead of from abrasion with the flooring.

Keeping the nails trimmed regularly should help some, but it may come down to either changing flooring surfaces, or trying rabbit safe soft booties/socks to protect the feet, if the floor abrasion is the cause of the fur loss and sores, and not a skin condition. Though if bandaging or socks are used, it's absolutely essential it's done correctly and blood flow to the foot is good after the bandage is applied. Anything too restrictive on the foot can cut off blood flow, which could result in serious injury to the affected foot. Though the problem being on the front feet, may make bandaging not a possibility, or at least difficult.
Ok thank you I will be careful and take your advices.

Ok I will take your advices and thanks for the reply

When my house rabbit had sore hocks I covered all floors he could get to with currugated fiberboard(cardboard?) and fenced off the asphalt parts in my garden, that did help after weeks, months.

When my house rabbit had sore hocks I covered all floors he could get to with currugated fiberboard(cardboard?) and fenced off the asphalt parts in my garden, that did help after weeks, months.
That's a good idea since he hates anything covered the floor and remove it constantly . But maybe cardboard covering works. :)

Latest posts

Back