RESOLVED: Urgent in Chicago Ridge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys!

Just a two second update. The lop ear girl who loves her pillow was adopted out through the shelter - just in time for them to take in two more bunnies! :shock: And there are still babies to be born!

I'm still strongly considering fostering the probably pregnant rex mama. If I do, wish me luck.

I may now have a transporter able to take bunnies, gerbils, and Syrian hamsters to Springfield IL and St. Louis MO. Another may be willing to transport to the Quad Cities. Stay tuned.

sorry I've been a little lax in responding on this one... I'm looking at a girl for Tony in a local shelter and hadn't heard anything from them for a while, so I was getting worried. she's kinda stolen my heart, so I can't commit to any other bun unless it won't work out with her. I would love to take a bun in an urgent resuce situation, but this one girl has really caught my eye. good luck placing these guys!

ps: the shelter i'm talking about is in Waukesha, which is about 30 min outside of Milwaukee, and i *think* it's no-kill... I'm not sure but it appears that way. they might be able to take some: the website is http://www.hawspets.org/

tonyshuman, great for you going to adopt a shelter bunny! Not about to complain about that!

For those of you who want to help but can't adopt or foster, here's the shelter's official wish list:

Wish List

I know the shelter is running low on hay, preferably not timothy as Lori would like to continue performing this activity called "breathing," and based on my visit, I'd say they could use donations of fresh produce suitable for rabbits, especially lettuce that is not of the iceberg variety.

Also, they have a small pet supply shop where they sell donated items to raise funds. If you have books, toys, or other pet supplies for any animal that are in new condition, I'm sure those would be welcomed. If you can, be sure to mention the bunnies ... just to keep their profile high.

Now I'm off to check the condition of my spare plain paper fax machine, and to ponder whether I have space and time to adopt one of their parakeets...

Oh, and Lori just informed me that a big "chocolate brown agouti-ish" lop ear that likes to sit on top of its igloo just came in.

Wishing you luck, Blue Frog, if you accept the pregnant gal. She'll be grateful she's in good hands.

~~~~~~~~

Tonyshuman: HAWS in Waukesha is a low-kill shelter. To the best of my knowledge kennel staff would terminate if a long-term resident becomes difficult in behavior; Or employees seek a shelter transfer when spaces get Maxed out. Yes, they will euthanize when numbers keep on coming in. Best wishes if you pursue dates with the girlie you see, and here's hoping Tony falls in love with somebun in the area.
Best to talk to staff at the shelter. I haven't been there in a while.

Two snuggling grooming buns are magical to watch, and have!

Let me speak with my husband, but I live in Berwyn, Illinois and could likely take one male (red eye is fine) for temporary fostering. If not already fixed I would like confirmation on the 27.50 price mentioned earlier in the thread also. I have one red eyed Californian female who is a sweetheart. Never intended to have rabbits as I have 8 parrots, but she was dumped out a year ago last November running the neighborhood, of course not spayed. Thought I would take her in until I could find a home for her. Had her spayed and eventually she did find a permanent home....mine.

I simply do not have room to give a permanent home and do not want to risk an anti-bonding situation which is why I can only commit to temporary fostering. Need to know if anything wrong...has shelter vet checked them etc. as money is tight right now (a couple of months from now would be more ideal but stuff happens when it happens). Let me know the details and I will garner up the courage to approach my husband. He is a sweetheart and an animal "sucker" in his own right, but I think I push him to his limits. LOL

foxflower wrote:
Let me speak with my husband, but I live in Berwyn, Illinois and could likely take one male (red eye is fine) for temporary fostering. If not already fixed I would like confirmation on the 27.50 price mentioned earlier in the thread also.
I adopted my Hazel there on Dec.8, 2007 (so recently). I just checked the receipt and it was $27.50 to adopt her including the neutering and cardboard carrier to bring her home. AWL does not supply pain meds for rabbits after their surgery though. I had to go to my vet and got some Metacam for her (costs like $9) but makes it easier to get through surgery.

An update before I collapse with exhaustion for the night:

Between LoriV's health and my finances crumbling, we've exceeded our limits. We appreciate those offers to foster if we could help provide financial assistance or time limits, but we're not in a position to take anyone up on those offers.

We've found foster placements for four more rabbits, if we can get them speutered in time. Wish us luck. If you live in the Rockford/DeKalb/Quad Cities/Crystal Lake areas and are looking to adopt, please drop me a note and I can put you in touch with the fosters who have them. Most of the nine adult rabbits and eight baby rabbits we've gotten out so far are in foster homes, not permanent ones. They are safe, but getting them into real homes is not only better for them, it's better for the rabbits still at the shelter waiting in line behind them.

As of late last week, we've gotten all the non-rabbit small animals into foster placements. I believe the last count was:

• 17 adult gerbils
  • 1 litter of 4 young, furred gerbils
  • 7 anticipated litters of gerbils
  • 2 Syrian hamster females, 1 is a teddy bear
  • 2 litters of baby Syrian hamsters
  • 1 adult male Syrian hamster
  • 2 dwarf hamsters who survived living in the same cage as the Syrian male
  • 1 mouse
Virtually all of the above were infested with mites (which do not appear to have spread to the rabbit room), which LoriV and an angelic foster home are treating before we place them. Again, if you're interested in any of the above, contact me.

Now, for another rabbit-related urgent situation, which doesn't involve Chicago Ridge but doesn't yet justify its own thread. I am supposed to take in a rabbit that is currently living in a house abandoned after its owner was evicted. (He was going to be released into the snow!) A panicked cousin is going over to try to retrieve it. Does anyone have a sample surrender contract I can use? I've written a few people I know, but this is coming up very suddenly and they're all busy with their own rescue efforts so may not be able to respond in time. I know very little about this rabbit, except that it is "small, black, and male." I pray the cousin gets to him in time. I'd drive there tonight if I had any idea where the house is. Looks like the supplies I bought to donate to Chicago Ridge are going to be used here, if I'm lucky.

Oh, and if you want some very sweet and attractive fancy rats, yep, got those too...

Now if you all will excuse me, I'm going off to cry, bang my head against the wall, and cry some more.

:thunk:

Thanks Haley. Normally I would have researched that myself, but I'm so tired it feels like my synapses are firing through glue - and I'm not even the one doing the "heavy lifting" on Chicago Ridge!

Still on tenterhooks waiting to hear about the "small black rabbit," which isn't helping matters.

Hi everyone I was just told about this group by Bluefrog. I have taken in one of the momma bunnies with four babies who are now looking for new homes. I also have in my care all the gerbils until they (a) have there litters or (b) males find homes. I'm new but I will try to get pictures and get them posted of the baby bunnies. There are 2 solid black, 1 almost all black with a solid white paw, and 1 solid gray. Mom is the sweetest and will be staying with me to be spoiled rotten.

Oberon the bunny, I'm pleased to inform you that all three of your like-colored brethren, the "cemetary bunnies," are being speutered in preparation to going to a rescue where, if not placed in homes, they can live out the rest of their lives in safety and comfort. Yeah for red-eyed critters! (so says Fang, my "pink-eyed princess" former lab rat).

We're also getting a brown rex and a brown Dutch neutered and ready to go to foster care as well.

Sooooo mmmaaannnnyyyy rrraaabbbiiiiitttssss....... I dread the post-Easter season.

Thats great news!

Im trying to help a woman with South Suburban in Chicago get some bunnies out. They have like 10 or so and were going to euthanize today. Its so sad. Too many bunnies and not enough homes :(

If there's anyone in or willing to travel to the Peoria IL area, I have coer... er, gently persuaded one of my rat adopters to transport bunnies this coming Sunday.

Oberon, there's now a pink-eyed girl bunny waiting at the shelter.... we could have her spayed and in your home in time for Valentine's! :p

I visited Chicago Ridge today to donate some hamster/gerbil mix so they wouldn't have to continue eating bird seed. Big mistake. None of the bunnies I saw on my last trip were still there, and there are more than ever - at least 25. One New Zealand White, one Dutch, several lop ears, one black tan of some sort, and scads of small bunnies. A few of the small ones were clearly babies, but most appeared to my untutored eye be dwarf breeds. Bunnies everywhere. There was a small but not dwarf multicolored creature, one of the few that didn't appear to be a purebred, who kept looking up hopefully every time I passed her, and I can't possibly take her.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hug Cassidy and cry into her fur for all those poor unwanted bunnies....

... and then I'm going to bone up on my rabbit breeds so I can tell you guys more of what's there, in the hopes someone will recognize something they want and go adopt one! Or two - (most of them) are small!

My emotions are sinking. I hope some got to rescue places. do advise on pictures or colorings of who's currently left there.

why, why why are so many places jam packed? I will do the same, hug everyone here.

I know some were definitely adopted, including the super friendly Dutch. I want to think the same is true for all of them, and have no intention of trying to find out if the truth is otherwise. I doubt any rescue groups other than Lori's stepped in, because we were knocking on every door we could find and weren't getting many takers - and those who were, weren't local. Trust me, I logged enough miles to prove that point.

I wish the shelter permitted pictures or at least kept their own web site up to date, because it would make directing people to the shelter for specific so much easier. I'm telling myself that the fact so many of their current crop of rabbits are dwarf breeds will make it easier for them to be adopted out... and again, I'm not sure I want to know if that's not the case. There was a beautiful dark grey and white girl with a huge dewlap who was clearly mature who caught my eye. I remember a solid black small but not dwarf, and I'm thinking it was one of the lops. Another rabbit that looked like our "eyeliner bunny" that we got adopted out before. The black tan, who looked like a dwarf rather than a full-sized tan but I only got a glimpse of him so don't quote me on it. An agouti lop.

I tried so hard to take mental pictures of them but I'm drawing a complete blank now. I'll see if a cry and some sleep will jog my memory.

Is there one easily accessible definite book, with pictures, that a newbit like myself could use to help identify breeds and types? I'm not looking for formal standards, just a bunch of pictures and general descriptions that I could use to say "Oh, it looks like that one!"

Have you perused the american rabbit breeders association site? There is a link there to breeds and general identification.

Rabbits USA magazine does a good job of showing various breeds. Available at pet supply places?
The Guide to Owning a Rabbit, by Anne Lindsay. pgs. 47-62.
Animal Planet / Rabbits . Pet Care Library. pg. 16 has general names and standards' weights

thanx for the updates. Your heart goes out to all those imploring eyes and faces reaching up for help -- and love.

Latest posts

Back