RESOLVED: Urgent in Chicago Ridge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BlueFrog,

Will you email me again? Is anyone at that shelter rabbit savvy, or show interest in the rabbits at all?

My vet is one of the House Rabbit Society vets in Missouri and she's very near my home. When I took Holiday and Fiesta there she was thrilled as she doesn't get many new rabbit clients. I had told her about wanting to work in rescue and she was receptive to that.

If we can get together and get some information down pat then present it to my vet she *may* be willing to contact the shelter in order to get a rescue-ball rolling. Of course, if it's delicate (NO rabbit friendly people there) it'll have to be handled as well as possible, so any contacts for/with that shelter will need to be open minded and not just flippant towards their plight.

If there were any way to get transport to my area I can take rabbits in as needed, she could do the vetting and I'm sure she'd be willing to green-light me for petfinder.

I know my distance has been a problem in the past but if we can work out a set, definant plan that would work perhaps transport networking would be a possibility afterall.

Leaf, I've PM'd you but felt this information is probably relevant to others:

LoriV volunteers at the shelter and would be in a better position to advise, but I've never gotten the impression that the staff are flippant or indifferent to the fates of the rabbits. I know they've expressed gratitude to her for getting rabbits out to safety. They're simply under space constraints that are beyond their control.

I will certainly do what I can, but my assistance will probably consist of making occasional visits to report on what's there, and getting rabbits on transport trains. Being stood up by that rescuer who was supposed to take the three cemetary bunnies has had some very lasting repercussions in my household, unfortunately. Of course, I can do nothing without LoriV's help, because she has the credentials to get the rabbits out; I don't.

I've visited the ARBA site and it helped with some breed identifications, although I have a long way to go. I had no idea there were so many breeds with lop ears! I now believe that the multicolored critter with the imploring eyes is probably a non-show quality (too big, too little coat) or part-bred Jersey Wooly. If we can get something going to transport rabbits to safe havens, I absolutely assure you that one will be one of the first to go!

Can you take pictures? That always helps way more than descriptions.

Is Chicago Ridge far from South Suburban? They were overflowing with bunnies as well last time I talked to someone out there.

Chicago seems to be overflowing with unwanted pets :(

Chicago Ridge prohibits taking photos, so the only pictures I've gotten have been of rabbits that have already been released to rescue groups. Frustrating beyond belief.

Chicago Ridge is about 1/2 hour's drive from Chicago Heights, where South Suburban is located.

I counted 'at least' 23 rabbits currently at the shelter. I was there last night. There's two new cages in the lobby with 3 young ones in each. One with a grey and white lop. There's a gorgeous dwarf himi bunny in the small animal room. I took pictures with my cell, but haven't figured out how to download them. Spent the last hour trying. Argh. There's a black and white rex bunny in the lobby - really really cute. Basically though, everywhere you look are bunny cages. I have a feeling it's a dump of everyone's Christmas bunnies.

Unfortunately, my timothy hay allergy and my asthma collided this week and landed me in the E.R. I cannot continue to help them with cleaning, feeding and watering on Sundays as I have been doing since the first of the year. IF you're unable to adopt, the next best thing to help these bunnies is to volunteer and help to provide their care. Sue, the manager over the wildlife and small animals is absolutely wonderful. Please help her if you can spare a couple of hours sometime.

BlueFrog wrote:
I have some irons in the fire, but no news yet.

Same here.

I haven't heard anything from my vet as far as being listed on petfinder. It's a little discouraging as I know I can help these rabbits. My email was sent several days ago and I haven't received a receipt saying it has been opened yet.

I get my new car in March which will put me back in transport help (my car now has electrical issues that will be too costly to resolve for the age of the vehicle) - and my home is large enough to accomidate fosters at any given time.

I'm in contact now with another "local" vet office that actually has the 2 adoptable bunnies I listed a little while ago. This could easily give me two area vets to refer people to - a positive step if I do end up being able to help the "ridge bunnies".

If we end up on petfinder, pulled rabbits will get the exposure they need on petfinder and as Dr Frick is less than 10 minutes from my home non and emergency vetting will be an absolute possibility.

I'm trying - I really am! :banghead

hippogoddess1 wrote:
Hi everyone I was just told about this group by Bluefrog. I have taken in one of the momma bunnies with four babies who are now looking for new homes. I also have in my care all the gerbils until they (a) have there litters or (b) males find homes. I'm new but I will try to get pictures and get them posted of the baby bunnies. There are 2 solid black, 1 almost all black with a solid white paw, and 1 solid gray. Mom is the sweetest and will be staying with me to be spoiled rotten.

How awesome! I'm so glad you found your way here - and that the animals are in your care.

Welcome!

Are there lionheads at the shelter who need a home?

Uh oh, does Julie have the lionhead bug now? LOL! Or is there just someone looking for one? They do seem to be showing up in a lot of shelters now.

I really dont understand the "no pictures" thing- how do they ever expect to adopt out? No one will ever know about the bunnies unless they post on petfinder or at least allow photos to be taken and posted elsewhere :(

I really hate people sometimes.

I don't get the no pictures thing either. The Sheboygan shelter is ok with anyone taking pics. Their stance is that they have nothing to hide, but everything to gain from possible publicity.

Is this shelter maybe so run down or ill kept that they don't want pictures to get out? It's silly. We had someone drive over an hour, passing other shelters, to adopt a mini lop she fell in love with on Petfinder. Same stuff will sometimes happen with cats and dogs too.

There were no lionheads when I was last there, but they're taking rabbits in at such a ferocious rate they may have by now. I may have someone able to swing by on Friday morning to take a look.

Actually, for what they have to do, I feel it's been quite well kept as of late. Of course, since "I" have been a weekly volunteer, I feel that I can speak to their conditions. If you worked there for a day and saw the number of dogs and cats that come and go, and the members of the public that are there at any given time, the rabbits have to take a back seat so to speak. In addition, several current members of the staff are allergic to the rabbits.

I've been trying to help. Bashing the shelter for it's rules is not helping my cause, especially if any of the other employees or management happen to read these comments too. I will refrain from posting further details. If you want to change their rules, conditions, etc, then I suggest that you find a way to go and make a difference.

Bluefrog, I appreciate your help tremendously, however, as I'm not liking the turn this has taken, I feel this is yet another route that needs to end.

Given that the immediate crisis that sparked this thread is over, perhaps we should ask the mods to lock it? I certainly didn't intend to - and don't want to - cause problems.

Just someone looking for one, naturestee. A friend asked if SRR had some in our care that could be adopted? I thought of the ones needing homes on RO?!? Especially an unwanted lionhead on borrowed time because a shelter willterminate from their surrenders/intakes.I anticipate the prospectiveadopter and friendwillaccess Petfinder and begin searching.

I gaze at Vivienne Violet and Mr. Tumnus and miss Bea for my lionhead smiles. :)

naturestee wrote:
Uh oh, does Julie have the lionhead bug now? LOL! Or is there just someone looking for one? They do seem to be showing up in a lot of shelters now.

Light Bulb !! Thanx Angela.

BlueFrog and LoriV welcome to RO! What you're doing to help these little souls is awsome! You're both great! :inlove:

BlueFrog I'm sorry for your frustration, I'm sure things'll get better, though.
LoriV, I just love your avatar photo! This is exactly the pose that my Vitto takes when he wants to be petted! When he does this, I call him "little rug", because him and the rug become one!

Naturestee, Oberon's photo is absolutely perfect! I wish I could snapshot my bun from this angle!

Marietta

Latest posts

Back