Found a very sick rabbit in the park

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poorbunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have never owned a rabbit but I found a sick very haggard looking rabbit in the park. I took it home, and its been there for the past 3 days.

As you can see in the pictures the poor things been through a lot.

I have been feeding it lettuce, apples, watermelons, carrots access to water and a nice soft area to sleep on.

Its always shaking but it got used to my touch, but still shakes, both ears are hanging on one side of its head and I think its blind.

I haven't taken it to the vet because the vets in Dubai arnt very good, they ll either euthanise it or charge an expensive treatment which I cant afford. Also I cant provide a permanent home for it because I have 2 cats, 2 birds and I dont want to risk any infection to them. Currently its isolated in my balcony with a card board hutch and a cooler and it seems content sitting in there.

Looking at the pictures do you guys think theres a chance to help it with treatment?

The past few days its condition has improved a bit responsive and active, when I say "momo!" it comes to me and nudges me.

The vets in Dubai arn't the best kind and I d take your opinions over theirs.

Please dont flame me...I ll try my best to help it out but I have budget and time constraints :cry4:

IMG_20140731_023023.jpg

IMG_20140731_023037.jpg

IMG_20140731_023042.jpg

IMG_20140731_023054.jpg

Also forgot to add when it first pooped it was brown and slimy. Today its dry hard black pellets. Is that a sign of improvement ?

I would be wiping down and cleaning it up with warm water. Don't bathe it just use a cloth.

I doubt it's carrying anything that will kill your cats or dogs. That rabbit needs care, possibly antibiotics and those wounds need treating once they have been thoroughly cleaned. Might I have better pictures of its wounds?

What's its weight like? Do not feed it lettuce. Get it some hay and the highest quality pellets available. Soft pellets are okay, they're ones they're supposed to re ingested normally straight from the source but some they do not. Harder round pellets that are a dark brown and the size of a pea are good size and are a good sign. Small ones or funny shaped ones are a bad sign.

Once you have cleaned the buns wounds use boiled water with salt, make sure the water is luke warm else you'll burn bun. As like as bun is moving around and is lively, eating and drinking bun should improve especially with the wounds cleaned and treated.

Yes, round dry fecal poop is good, though dark and hard is something that isn't and needs to be worked on by adding fiber from grass and/or hay into the diet. You want them to be nice large round balls that crumble up easily when smashed., not very small, dark, hard balls. Is the rabbit still having any mushy poop, watery diarrhea, or mucous in the poop?
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-droppings.asp
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Well done for rescuing this rabbit! First off you need to change the diet right away. No apples, watermelon, or carrots for now. You don't want to be feeding it all that sugary food, as too many sugars can lead to digestive upset and imbalance, which can cause serious issues in rabbits. Later on when the bun is healthy, you can probably start giving a tiny bit of fruit for a treat. Also, what type of lettuce are you feeding? Iceberg and light colored lettuce can lead to diarrhea, dark colored lettuce is ok, but usually all vegetables need to be introduced into a rabbits diet slowly to avoid digestive upset. For now can you get ahold of some sort of grass hay? Timothy is the popular one here for rabbits, but I'm not sure what you will have access to. The rabbit needs to be on a mostly grass or grass hay diet. If you have a choice, you want something that is a good green color, smells fresh and sweet, and that is a mix of hard stems and leafy stems. You want to make sure that the hay you get hasn't ever been wet and isn't musty, moldy, or sour smelling. You will want to keep a close eye on this rabbits hay consumption to ensure it is eating the hay well. If it is used to fresh grass and plants, it may have difficulty eating hay. Once you are sure the rabbit is eating the hay well and has no more signs of mushy poop, you can slowly start adding in veggies into the diet, one at a time and starting off with a small amount and gradually building up, keeping an eye out for mushy poop. Keep an eye out for the rabbit to stop eating at any time, as this is an indication of illness and possibly pain. If it's been 12-24 hours since it last ate or last ate very well, it becomes an emergency situation.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/components-rabbit-diet.asp
http://www.lagomorphs.com/salad.pdf
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/feeding_en.pdf

Do you have access to packaged rabbit pellet food? And what kinds are available to you with what type of ingredients?

The rabbit does look to have some health issues. Is that fur missing on the paws? Any crusting on the skin anywhere, in the ears? I can't tell what is going on with the ears. Can you describe what you see and maybe get a close up of the different things you see wrong with the bun? Also is there discharge from the eyes and/or cloudiness in them? Is the rabbit sneezing a lot and having discharge from the nose? A good description of any other issues you see and close up pics will help determine what type of problems this rabbit is having. Even if you don't have access to a rabbit vet, we may be able to at least give you the info you need for the rabbit to be treated with the correct medications if needed. You'll still want to keep it isolated and wash your hands after contact, until we figure out the health issues that are going on.

Nose nudges usually mean that a rabbit wants forehead rubs, though it can sometimes mean 'move, you're in my way' :). Rabbits usually like to be petted above their nose on their forehead. It sounds like the bun is used to people, if it is nudging you for petting. If it still seems to feel a bit nervous, providing a hidey hole can help. A cardboard box with a hole cut in works.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for you and the bunny and I hope you can help him/ her, looks like bun has been through a lot

that's a very sick rabbit and I would be doing it a kindness by euthanizing it. Sorry, but sometimes it's kinder to do so.

Hi everyone thanks for the advice !
I ended up taking it to vet, it has a mites infestation and a shot today and another in two weeks followed by some cream it should fall off . The "ink" on its fur is a mites medicine and the vet told me maybe it belonged to someone but they had to leave it for whatever reason...makes sense I guess.

@ HiddlesKenway The vet told me not to clean it water because the mites will spread more and after a month give it a medical bath to remove the remaining mites. He checked for any injuries but didn't find any. As for its weight it wasn't mal nourished when I found him so I probably found him a week after he got dumped. I cant see any bones but I can feel its ribs if I try to hold him and its poop looks healthier too.

@JBun: THANKS those sites were very informative. Its poop right now is black but its dry and hard I think its because hes been chugging too much fruit and not enough fibre. Couldnt find timothy hay but I bought it online I ll be getting it in a few days. The shop keeper told me the pellet brand isn't good because its low quality so I bought some other rabbit food it looks like grains, hay, and nuts all mixed together but it doesn't like it. I cut up a head of lettuce and it ate the entire thing. Once I get the hay I ll feed it that more regularly.
The fur is there on its paws but its claws are very long, its missing on the ears but it has mites everywhere. No discharge or cloudiness on the eyes. No sneezing or discharge and my vet told me it because its responsive internally its fine.

@Ivythelionhead, @ladysown, @ Ana_The_Dreamer, @pani The vet told me it looks bad..but if its eating a lot, moving around, responsive it should be fine. I ll try and persuade the family to let me keep it. If not I ll try to treat and home it.

Also the vet called me an idiot for keeping the rabbit in the balcony when our temperature touched 50 c today, So I bought it a small cage for the time being. I ll upgrade it later on. I bought a bedding for it and I think its using it because its wet but didn't see any poop but I have noticed its nibbling on it , not sure if ate though.

Anyways lets hope momo survives and gets healthier. Thanks again for help :D

IMG-20140804-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20140804-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20140804-WA0011.jpg

Also forgot to mention the random shaking has stopped so I guess its getting better :D

aw man, he is getting better from the looks of it .... should be proud in saving him. not many would do that, in giving him a second chance in life .... IMO

That vet actually sounds like they might have been pretty decent. I'm glad you were able to get the bun looked at. Mites does sound right. I'm glad there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong. Mites can usually be pretty easily treated when the correct med is used. I'm guessing the vet gave an injection of ivermectin? You may want to double check the correct dosage was given as too much is bad and too little won't be effective. Rabbits need 0.4mg/kg. So the amount given will depend on the concentration of the medication. A follow up injection in two weeks is good, but I would suggest also getting one more two weeks later. It helps ensure the life cycle of the mite is completely interrupted. Sometimes even a 4th or 5th dose is needed if the infestation is very severe, so something to keep in mind if you aren't seeing as good a recovery as you would like. Also sometimes the injections may need to be stepped up to every 10 days, if you see the mites getting better but then getting worse again by day 14, so just something to watch out for.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Mange/Sarcoptes.htm

One thing I will strongly suggest NOT doing is not bathing the rabbit. Bathing a rabbit can actually be quite dangerous. For some rabbits it can actually put them into shock and could prove fatal. It's just generally seen as a very bad idea for rabbits, in most cases, and is only considered in a very extreme case, and even then must be done very carefully with careful monitoring of the rabbits stress and body temp levels. The ivermectin injections should actually take care of the mite problem completely if done at the right frequency and for the appropriate amount of time. And you seem on a good schedule with that if you increase it to 3 doses 2 weeks apart.

With the cream, does it say what is in it? Just want to make sure it is rabbit safe, as rabbits will groom and ingest anything put on their skin and fur. Also it might be good to find out what the purple mite treatment on the skin contains in its ingredients if at all possible, as you might need to wipe off with a damp towel and dry as much as possible. Though I'm sure at this point that the rabbit has thoroughly groomed and ingested whatever it is, so hopefully nothing in it is toxic to rabbits.

It doesn't look terribly thin to me but does look a bit on the lean side. You can look along the back and kind of see the indent along the back muscles. That should all be filled in for a rabbit at a healthy weight, but that should fill in as the bun gets on a decent diet. You may want to look for a different rabbit food. Muesli mixes are actually not considered to be very healthy for rabbits, and can actually lead to increased digestive and dental problems. The best thing to look for is a plain hay based pelleted food. You probably won't be able to get timothy hay based pellets, but if you can find pellets with alfalfa hay as the first(or at least second) ingredient, those should be a decent enough pellet. You can always post the ingredients on here for an opinion. Typically pellet ingredients here in the US will have alfalfa, a grain ingredient, soy hulls and meal, molasses, and added vitamins. Usually it is best to gradually transition a rabbit onto new pellets, starting with a small amount and gradually increasing, but if you have no hay available yet, then the bun does need to be getting some food, and veggies can only go so far because of the high moisture content, so I suppose just do the best you can. Amount wise, around 1/4-1/2 cup pellets per 5 lbs(2.2kg) body weight is a good amount when the rabbit is also eating hay. You basically ensure the rabbit is eating a pile of hay the size of it's body, and adjust the pellet amount accordingly. So if it's not eating enough hay and/or it's fecal poop is still looking small and hard, then reduce pellets and make sure the bun is increasing it's hay consumption. If it is eating the pile of hay and is running out of food, then increase pellets and/or hay. A rabbit can basically have as much hay as it wants, and that is good for them, but pellets are just there for vitamins and weight gain. So if the rabbit is not putting on enough weight, you can increase pellets a little. It's a bit of a balancing act, finding the right balance of hay for good digestive health, and the right amount of pellets for good weight maintenance. Do the best you can. You kind of learn as you go. If you stick with the general guideline for body size pile of hay and 1/4-1/2 cup pellets per 2.2 kg, you should be fine.

With the nails, you can get some clippers and try to clip yourself. It can be hard if you haven't ever done it before, as rabbits don't usually like to cooperate and you have to be careful not to cut into the quick, as well as holding them in such a way that they won't freak and injure their back. Might be worth having the vet do it when you take the bun back in. Usually has to be done every 8 weeks. You could also have the vet sex your rabbit, and if the vet knows how to check rabbit teeth for sharp points, that may also be a good thing to have done as a general checkup.

With suddenly adding that much lettuce(a dark leafy lettuce, not iceberg) into the diet, you will want to keep a close eye out for mushy poop, but it sounds like the bun is adjusting well. Once you get the hay, that will help. Keep in mind though that rabbits eat a lot of hay. They should eat about a pile of hay the size of their body per day, so if you are getting a small bag of pet shop hay, that can be expensive, at least here it is. The bigger the bag, usually the cheaper it will be. The best thing is to buy horse hay if you can find a good quality grass hay there. Maybe a racing stable, and just buy a few flakes off them? Otherwise I guess you would have to stick with the pet shop hay, which is fine, just usually much more expensive

For the litter, you will want to make sure it is rabbit safe. Clumping and clay based cat litters are not safe, nor is cedar. Usually a pine or paper based litter is good. Pine shavings are only ok if kiln dried, but if that is all that's available then that's ok. You just have to keep in mind when using litter, that rabbits will chew on everything, so whatever you use has to be safe for them to nibble on. The best thing to do would be to try to litter train. Just get a rectangular cat litter box or plastic storage bin that will fit at one end of the cage, and put the litter in there. Then you can line the rest of the cage with newspaper. You can also use fabric that doesn't have loose threads that can possibly be ingested by the bun, but usually in warm weather, rabbits prefer to lay on a smooth cool surface, so the newspaper works well for that. The vet was right about keeping the bun indoors with those temps. I had absolutely no idea it was so hot there. Temps that high can actually be fatal to a rabbit. I'm glad the bun was ok and is indoors now. But even indoors can get hot for rabbits. Generally if temps are above 80-85f or 27-29c, then you need to take steps to help a rabbit cool down. An easy way is to offer a pop bottle filled with water and frozen. Then if the rabbit is hot, it can lay next to it to cool down.

I want to commend you. You've done a great thing helping this poor bun. I hope you are able to keep him/her(?). It looks like you are on the right track for this bun to be healthy in no time :) Mites do make it look to be in a more sorry state than it probably is. Usually as long as a rabbit is eating well, it is not doing too badly. And it sounds like it is eating fine, but keep an eye on the poop. If the pooping stops and the rabbit then stops eating for more than 12 hours, you need to get the bun to the vet for a possible gut blockage. This is why hay is so important in a rabbits diet.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

The cage looks big enough to use for now. If you do keep the bun, you can expand the area with an xpen if you want, or some people let there rabbits free roam, though in that case you have to rabbit proof, as rabbits tend to chew on things, including power cords. But depends on the rabbit. Some aren't big chewers. Anyways, good luck with the little guy and please keep us updated on how it's doing.

Last edited:
Wow! I just want to say - Thank you for saving that poor bunnie's life! -- not many people would even go near a bunny looking like that! Mites can really make a bunny look bad but luckily its totally treatable and once they are cleared up you will probably have a great loving pet.

And, Omg! it was 50 degrees, that is hotter weather than I have ever experienced in my life! Rabbits don't usually do well in heat at all, in the wild when its hot they stay underground in their burrows all day where it stays below 20 degrees celsius, so they never have to experience the hot afternoon temperatures.

Anyway, makes me so happy to see someone save a bunny like that :) You're a good person :)

Any updates on the little one?

I'm really glad someone like you found him/her and was willing to spend time to get him healed up. That's just heartbreaking. It looks so much better than before though, so I hope he keeps improving!

I'm glad he's improving. Keep it up!

That's strange, I've never heard that would make things worse. I'll have to ask my vet.

Wow you save his life!
Congratulations !!

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back