Holland lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisy1

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently fostering a Holland lop with the intention of adopting if she bonds with my rabbit. I have recently been made aware( by a vet) of the health problems these rabbits are prone to( was not told this when I took the rabbit to foster). Experiences please with these types of rabbits. Is it inevitable that this will happen? Have currently paid thousands of dollars in vet fees this year for gut statis issues, so want to know what I'm in for here.
Thanks

My vet tells me to just monitor for anything that my happen with my rabbit especially with his mouth as his teeth have a slight misalign. My vet has also called him a bull dog to his face and he is very offended by that. That is something you'd also have to talk to the vet cause every rabbit is different any you might luck out and your foster fail might not experience any of those health problems.

I only got lops in recent years, and only one of them has had ear problems. Even then it hasn't been vet bad so far. With the one that is more prone to ear infections, I have heard it's best and in my experience it has worked, to keep an eye on and clean and massage their ears about once a month.
I've never had a deaf one, or one that has gotten an ear infection, but I've only had lops for around a year and I hear that they tend to have more ear problems when they are old, which is natural.
Generally though if you want the least amount of heath problems, I would find a mixed breed bunny to pair. My mixed breeds have been the sturdiest and have never had health problems that have caused me to worry.

Latest posts

Back