Weird bond??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormybun

Reaction score
I know this must sound really weird, but I’ve noticed my bun Stormy has a very weird dependency on her bonded friend Gabe.

She won’t do anything Gabe doesn’t do first, and she won’t eat anything Gabe won’t eat. She has to follow him everywhere. If he is in the little box, then she has to go in, too. If he is sleeping somewhere, then she’s either right up next to him or not far away, even though she’s not sleeping/tired.

Tonight, I had given them Stormy's favorite veggie mix, and she went to start eating. She looked up mid-leaf and saw Gabe wasn’t eating it, then stopped eating and went in their tunnel. Later, when I walked in, I saw Gabe eating some, and now Stormy was also eating with him.
I understand Stormy really loves him, but I don’t want her to be so dependent on him. It’s very one-sided, as Gabe does not feel or act the same way. He would very gladly shove her away to get a tiny crumb.

Is there anything I can do, or is this just their relationship? It concerns me that her actions depend on Gabe's actions.

If he's the 'top bun' in the hierarchy, which is what it sounds like from your description that he would 'shove her away to get a tiny crumb', this is completely normal behavior being that she is considered the subordinate.

Usually it's a more reluctant ceding of power to the top bun by the other rabbits in the hierarchy, and subordinate buns may not always give way so happily, but it sounds like she is very happy to give way and let him be the boss. And maybe staying close to him gives her a sense of safety and comfort, which would explain sticking so close to him at all times.

More often it's the bossy females that end up being top bun, but there's always an exception to the rule, which is fine and normal too 🥰

(Article on rabbit hierarchy and bonding)
https://bunnylady.com/establish-dominance/

If he's the 'top bun' in the hierarchy, which is what it sounds like from your description that he would 'shove her away to get a tiny crumb', this is completely normal behavior being that she is considered the subordinate.

Usually it's a more reluctant ceding of power to the top bun by the other rabbits in the hierarchy, and subordinate buns may not always give way so happily, but it sounds like she is very happy to give way and let him be the boss. And maybe staying close to him gives her a sense of safety and comfort, which would explain sticking so close to him at all times.

More often it's the bossy females that end up being top bun, but there's always an exception to the rule, which is fine and normal too 🥰

(Article on rabbit hierarchy and bonding)
https://bunnylady.com/establish-dominance/
Thank you!! I didn’t realize how deep and complex their bonds can be. I was getting really worried since she wouldn’t even eat without him. I really appreciate the helpful information and the link. 🤍🐰

Latest posts

Back