RESOLVED: Urgent in Chicago Ridge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That ad is still up so I went ahead and e-mailed the poster seeing if there was anything I could do to help assist.

I looked through their adoptable animals and did see some rabbits listed but I guess due to space there aren't many available.

Hopefully they received a positive response in the area and were able to save some. :(

:sigh:SRR and Red Door both just stepped in to help out another Chicago shelter with buns, the Anti-Cruelty Society.

Many shelters simply don't have the time to keep their Petfinder listings up to date, especially with "low priority" animals like rabbits. So I don't trust Petfinder to tell me how many animals any particular shelter has, or which ones are still actually there. You'd get a better tally by calling the shelter.

I hope the shelter gets some help. Maybe Red Door or the Chicago HRS were able to help? All I know is there's no more space in SRR unless our current buns get adopted.:(

I'm emailing the original poster about the Red Door now, and about other possible help. While it sounds like there are very caring individuals working with these rabbits, it's definantly a crisis situation.

I'll try to post more once I compose and send my return e-mail - I'm hoping to be able to help and I'll encourage the OP to come here.

pla725, this is definantly a worthwhile Craigs List posting you made. Thank you!

I know we're becoming a little more strict on the postings we want on this board - it isn't to be offensive, but rabbits in this type of crisis are definantly the ones we want to focus on!

I also posted in on the forums last night under http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=20122&forum_id=7.

This is the shelter I got Latte and Hazel from. They always have a ton, and when they get too many, they put some to sleep. That is why I got Hazel out of there in early Dec. I saw they were getting too many and she'd probably still be there. Same situation with Latte too (and he was on the kill list when I got him). :sad:

I'm about a half hour from them as well so let me know what's going on.

Has anyone tried to contact TLC Animal shelter in Homer Glen? There small, clean and no kill http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/9902/2002weeklyotherlist.html

Thanks so much to the poster (?Leaf) who wrote and invited me to this forum, and made me aware of this thread. I am the person who posted both the original CL message, and the new updated one:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pet/540366083.html

The local rescue person (guinea pigs) who alerted me (rats) to the plight of the bunnies contacted Chicago HRS, but they had no room. She also wrote Red Door, but never heard back from them. By making an absolutely shameless nuisance of myself to absolutely everyone I know, we managed to get out nine rabbits and two litters so far. There is a special place in our hearts for anyone willing to take in rabbits that are probably pregnant. In a few cases there were boys housed with girls, you see. One of them is an absolutely stunning brown and white rex doe with Bambi eyes and a wonderful disposition who I'd love to see find a sanctuary before she has her inevitable litter. She looks just like my favorite childhood bunny, only nicer in disposition, but I just can't take on another animal no matter how much I want to. I'm particularly concerned about her safety because she is pregnant, and would therefore add significantly to the shelter's numbers if she stays.

For those who are wondering about the shelter's online listings, they are significantly out of date and to the best of my understanding, there is no intention of updating them, at least as regard to rabbits. That information is about four times removed, so don't quote me on it, but I believe it is sound.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic but do want to mention that the shelter is also absolutely crammed full of gerbils (in more colors than I knew they came in) and dwarf hamsters. Almost all the female gerbils, and probably all of the hamsters, can be assumed to be pregnant. If anyone is interested in them, either as tag-a-longs with a bunny or in their own right, drop me a note. A foster home in Janesville WI has agreed to take in four male gerbils.

I have regular small animal rescue drop points in DeKalb IL, Rockford IL, and Kenosha WI where I can easily arrange to meet fellow transporters, adopters, and foster homes. Other locations can probably be arranged too. We have one adopter who lives in Peoria but travels to Chicago once a week who has offered to transport bunnies as needed.

Welcome to the forum BlueFrog!

I'm Lauren. I used to live in Chicago Ridge and recently moved out to Frankfort. I adopted 2 bunnies from the AWL, including one last month. I also used to go in often and make a note of all the bunnies there on here. Since I couldn't take photos, I did my best.

Thank you for posting on Craigslist. I know that they get so overwhelmed there. And it helps that the photos were included as well. I really wish their website would update them more! I offered to take photos for them and post them on here, but they said no. If it's policy then ok, but we are all very loving bunny people here. :bunnydance:

I live close by, however, I can't go far for transports as my car is still being finicky on me. I'll do my best to help though. I'll be watching the thread to see if there is anything I can do.

BlueFrog,

I'm glad you made it over to the forum! I really hope the good people here can help you guys work things through.

I adopted my Tony from Heartland Animal Shelter in Northbrook IL. They're a no-kill shelter, and they occasionally take in bunnies (maybe 3-4 at a time, because their bunny capacity is small). It doesn't seem that they have any bunnies currently (based on petfinder), so they might have space. Their website is http://heartlandanimalshelter.net/

I'm the person that currently has those that were pulled from the shelter. I'm currently making arrangements to have the large buck neutered. I'll post pics in a bit. (Thanks so much to bluefrog for her tireless efforts to help!)

Mom and babies
IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

Dad
IMG_3135.jpg

I wanted to add that there's a set of 3 large buck PEW's there. They were found abandoned in a cemetary. : (

There's a female lop with light brown/grey speckles around face. She has a favorite tiger striped pillow to sleep on. Very sweet.

There's a white female with huge blue eyes. New baby was allergic to her.

Welcome to BlueFrog and LoriV! Thanks so much for helping these poor buns. I foster for Soulmate Rabbit Rescue in WI, but unfortunately we're swamped too.:(

Why does the shelter keep boys and girls together? Do they need more cages? I have a boat load of extra NIC grids, free for the taking for any rescuer/adopter. TreasuredFriend also had some extra wire cages that could maybe be brought down. She was going to bring them to my local shelter but they seem to have found more cages on their own and don't really need them.

Oberon says please, please somebody adopt the big red eyed white boys!

100_2823a.jpg

Thanks so much to everyone for the warm welcome! You guys are great.

I'm still coming up for air after what feels like days of solid bunny blur, and serving as a bunny fairy, dropping off rabbits to foster homes. If anyone in the Quad Cities, Rockford IL, or DeKalb IL areas is looking for a bunny, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the foster homes. They've been very generous in donating their time and money, and I'd like to help them find homes for these critters. Of the bunnies pictured in the CL post, only the black and white rex buck is in his forever home (where, it is very clear, he is already king of his new household). I need to coordinate with LoriV as to which shelters each of us has contacted so we don't overlap and become annoying, after I carve out a little time to talk to some prospective rat adopters. I pretty much dropped everything non-essential to try to help the bunnies.

tonyshuman,
thanks for the giggle over the great user name. If you can recommend any no-kill shelters in Janesville/Madison, PM me with the details. I may be delivering some gerbils to a foster home in Janesville and could probably transport a few bunnies along with them.

lalena2148, would you be willing & able to foster if we could deliver the rabbit(s) to you?

naturestee,
would you mind dropping me a PM or email with the contact information for Soulmate? I am maintaining a list of No. IL & So. WI shelters and rescues that accept rabbits/ferrets/rats/pretty much anything warm-blooded that's not a dog or cat, and even though you're currently full, I'd like to have the information on file.

As for the male and female bunnies being caged together, LoriV, despite extreme allergies, has corrected the situation. The only answer as to why that happened which prevents my head from exploding is "That's the way they arrived." I'm not saying that's the correct answer, just the one I'm clinging to in order to maintain my increasingly fragile sanity. I think that the hamsters and gerbils may be housed together for reasons of space and lack of cages, but that's only speculation on my part.

Oberon
, you're adorable! And I agree with your sentiments completely. Someone please adopt those beautiful sweet white boys who looks so lost and lonely! I really worry about them. We got one red-eyed white out to a foster home (he's pictured in the CL ad, and a sweeter temperament you couldn't imagine) so far, but the three "cemetery bunnies" remain.

PM on the way!

My local shelter has tons of gerbils too, for some reason. They're packed 6+ to each ten gallon tank, but they are separated by gender. Multiple people have brought in multiple litters, joy. I just can't deal with the idea of leaving same-gender intact animals together. It's going to make my head explode!

BlueFrog wrote:
lalena2148, would you be willing & able to foster if we could deliver the rabbit(s) to you?
I'll have to talk to my husband but I have a feeling he won't be for it. (1) because I practically had to beg him to recently get the 3rd one (2) they're all sick (1 was in just recently in early stasis, all 3 were just on antibiotics, 1 still sneezing & 2 were intially, and the other has a slight case of head tilt so some days he's good others he's off) so I'd hate to stress them out.

I'll see what I can do though. Just so I know, if we foster, who incurrs the medical bills? Also, how many are we looking to foster at one time and for how long? I just need to talk to my husband and see what's going on. I wish I had more of a straight answer...:?

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about shelters here in the Madison area. I'm kinda new to WI!! I know the Wisconsin HRS operates out of Madison (http://www.wisconsinhrs.org/), and there are a few shelters in the area, but I'm not sure whether or not they are kill shelters. :(

Do you have pics of the girls? And are they spayed?

lalena2148, let me get back to you.

tonyshuman, thanks for the reply. The rabbits are not currently spayed, but I believe they can be for $27.50 through the shelter. Don't quote me on that until I receive confirmation. We aren't permitted to take pictures of rabbits at the shelter. The photos we've had so far were of rabbits who were already en route to foster or forever homes.

LoriV, who is that beauty in your avatar? Shes stunnig!

Bless you both for helping so many in need. Im in Michigan and we often pull some our of Chicago. Everyone is so full lately :(

Haley wrote:
LoriV, who is that beauty in your avatar? Shes stunnig!
Hey Haley, remember that bunny Bella I wanted to adopt from AWL? LoriV actually ended up adopting her the day before I went to get her! Lucky duck! Her name is Freckles now. Small world!

Latest posts

Back