Rabbits Flying Into Orlando International (MCO)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em2905

Reaction score

I was wondering if anyone who has flown with rabbits, has ever flown into Orlando international and what their experiences was with that?

I am thinking of trying to fly Truffle over with me when i next fly now (from UK), so thought someone might be able to tell me how Orlando seemed with handling bunnies. If she flies with me this time, she wont be able to fly on board, as i will have a laptop to go on board with me and a bunny is your carry on.

I hope i can work it out to take her, i really dont know what to do else, i haven't been able to find someone who would be able to look after her here. I have already been making a wish list on Petsmart for my Fiance to get things for her, if i do take her over. I just hope we can afford for the extra expense of taking her this trip.

Em :England:

I can't give you any personal experience, as I have never flown with my bunnies, but I work in Orlando and if I can give you a hand in any way let me know. I'm always happy to help out a bunny person!

slavetoabunny wrote:
I can't give you any personal experience, as I have neverflown with my bunnies, but I work in Orlando and if I can give you ahand in any way let me know. I'm always happy to help out abunny person!

Thank you very much! I will be flying out to see my Fiance, so should be OK for everything once i get there, i guess i am just a little worried about flying with Truffle (alone) and how the airports treat bunnies and what Orlando airport will think to me bringing a bunny over!!

Since you'll be with her, will you be able to keep her in the cabin with you? That way you won't have to worry as much about her. I definately think it's a bette ridea to take her with you than to have her fly solo later.

I know when Trixie (the rabbit) was flown across the US they wanted to xray her.:shock: Thankfully her mom refused and took her out of the carrier while they xrayed that.

Oh, and have you looked at NIC cages? They're very inexpensive and can be made to fit the home and the rabbit.It would be a great cage idea for her. Here's some examples.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21

naturestee wrote:
Since you'll be with her, will you be able to keep her inthe cabin with you? That way you won't have to worry as muchabout her. I definately think it's a better idea to take herwith you than to have her fly solo later.

I know when Trixie (the rabbit) was flown across the US they wanted toxray her.:shock: Thankfully her mom refused and took her outof the carrier while they xrayed that.

Oh, and have you looked at NIC cages? They're veryinexpensive and can be made to fit the home and the rabbit.It would be a great cage idea for her. Here's some examples.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15348&forum_id=21
Those cages look really cool! Where might i buy the stuff i need from? And how expensive would it be?

I'm afraidi wouldn't be able to fly Truffle onboard with me if i take her on thist rip. I have to take my laptop and such over with me as carry on and a bunny is considered your carry on, so i cant take both onboard! :(

They tried to x-ray your bunny..... oh geez!!

They're usually pretty easy to find in the US. They can be found in the shelving areas of Target, Shopko, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, and sometimes Walmart and HomeDepot to name a few. You can easily build a rather large cage for $50 or less, which is fabulous compared to anything else out there including dog crates.

What airline are you flying with? Most airlines here allow you 2 carry ons. Or, as a girl, you can have a 'purse' and carry on. I have been known to carry 'purses' big enough to fit a laptop, and then take another carry on.

naturestee wrote:
They're usually pretty easy to find in the US.They can be found in the shelving areas of Target, Shopko, Bed, Bath,& Beyond, and sometimes Walmart and Home Depot to name afew. You can easily build a rather large cage for $50 orless, which is fabulous compared to anything else out there includingdog crates.

Thanks! Might have to get my Fiance to look into that. There's a Target and Walmart right by us. Not sure how much he'd be up for making one before we get there though.Lol! Sounds a good idea though and price wise good, compared to a normal cage, for the size.

HoneyPot wrote:
What airline are you flying with? Most airlineshere allow you 2 carry ons. Or, as a girl, you can have a'purse' and carry on. I have been known to carry 'purses' bigenough to fit a laptop, and then take another carry on.

I haven't got a flight booked yet. I often fly Virgin, but they said they dont fly rabbits, so guess i wont be using them next time. Guess it'll probably be Continental, as i want a direct flight.

I have alaptopback pack i usually use to carry the laptop, so i would have to be creative and do some rearranging to try to wangle taking Truffle and the laptop onboard. Wish i was travelling lighter this trip, but need to take some extra things back with me. That's why i was going to wait till later to take Truffle over with me, but i dont really have anyone to take care of her, if i dont take her right with me!:(

To my knowledge, and with flying over my Trixie (different bun than the one Naturestee mentioned), it's more the airline that makes the difference than the airport.

We used Continental (which is the same company as Alaskan Airlines), and they were WONDERFUL with her. They kept her inside in the warmth and checked on her a lot...and kept her in warm places during layovers. They also fawned all over her...and though I wasn't there to drop her off or pick her up (my husband picked her up), both my husband and her former owner, Denise, said it was adorable just how much everyone melted when they saw her.

Here's my not-yet-compacted thread on her journey here to California from New York:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18031&forum_id=6

It contains as much information as I could put into it. :)

Hope it helps! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

You should be able to fly with your bunny as carryon and your laptop in a 'purse' type bag with no problems if you find a carrier that will allow pets.

Are you staying in the US for good? If not, I would give a second thought about bringing your rabbit only to have to quarantine her when you fly back home. As far as I understand the QT process is a minimumof 30 days in a facility that is approved only because they are the cheapest- not because of their standard of care. I've heard of many rabbits not making it through QT due to such poor basic care.

clarzoo wrote:
You should be able to fly with your bunny as carryon andyour laptop in a 'purse' type bag with no problems if you find acarrier that will allow pets.

Are you staying in the US for good? If not, I would give a secondthought about bringing your rabbit only to have to quarantine her whenyou fly back home. As far as I understand the QT process is a minimumof 30 days in a facility that is approved only because they are thecheapest- not because of their standard of care. I've heard of manyrabbits not making it through QT due to such poor basic care.
I'm probably not flying over for good this time, but my Fiance will be over there (he's American) all the time, so even when i make trips home, she can stay with him.

I would never fly ananimal into the UK, they would have to stay in quaranteen for 6 months and i couldn't do that to any animal!!

maherwoman wrote:
To my knowledge, and with flying over my Trixie (differentbun than the one Naturestee mentioned), it's more the airline thatmakes the difference than the airport.

We used Continental (which is the same company as Alaskan Airlines),and they were WONDERFUL with her. They kept her inside in thewarmth and checked on her a lot...and kept her in warm places duringlayovers. They also fawned all over her...and though I wasn'tthere to drop her off or pick her up (my husband picked her up), bothmy husband and her former owner, Denise, said it was adorable just howmuch everyone melted when they saw her.

Here's my not-yet-compacted thread on her journey here to California from New York:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=18031&forum_id=6

It contains as much information as I could put into it. :)

Hope it helps! :D

Hugs!

Rosie*

Thanks for the link Rosie, it had some good info in it. Did you fly Continental or Delta? You said Continental in your message, but Delta in your link. Continental is an airline i quite possibly would fly with, as they fly direct to Orlando from London.

I am glad you had a good experience flying her via cargo. Some people think it's fine to, others tell me no way, dont do it.

We started out planning to use United, then switched to Alaskan Airlines (which is the same as Continental, and she even wound up flying on a Continental plane).

Yeah, we had a great experience...she was totally fine when she got here, not freaked out or scared AT ALL. Just hopped right into her cage...and was brave enough to come out and gradually introduce herself to everyone that came over that night. :)

We had a really great experience with the people at Alaskan/Continental...from the customer care, to Trixie's care, to how much they helped my husband in picking her up. Really great service with Continental. I totally recommend them.:)

The answers (to the questions I had) that I have there for United were the same answers I got from Continental. :)

As an added note: we got the idea to use Alaskan/Continental from TinysMom, a very reputable person. Not only that, but she knows many people who've used them to fly bunnies via cargo before...they have a great reputation. :) Also note: we flew Trixie at the end of January...during snow...and she was comfortable enough not to even notice. :)

Orlando is AWESOME!!! I wouldn't really be conserned with the airport as much as I would the airline.I've flown from and to Orlando dozens of times. Orlando's only an 1hr and a half away from me ;)

I think its much better if you have her fly with you under your seat. I would contact Continental before booking a flight, but you should be fine to take her and your laptop.

Definitely check into having your bf build her an NIC condo. Its so cheap abd very easy to make. Plus you can make them roomy enough that if he's taking care of her while you go back to England and he cant let her out to run every day, he wont feel bad. You can make a wonderful sized cage with 2 boxes. Right now they are on sale for 12.99 a box at Target. :)

I hope youre able to take her with you. She would love Florida (assuming they have air conditioning in the summer, of course) ;)

I too would be worried about the quarantine. I know there are rabbit diseases in the UK that simply don't exist here in the US, so they would be careful about those being introduced. If you are planning to take her back again, I wouldn't bring her, but if she's staying here, that's a different story.

We just went from here to Phoneix and back to Houston to here and they let some peeps carry on more than one piece so ask, but it shouldn't be a problem. Thereis also a place up front where peeps bring on strollers and such, so you could maybe even do it that way where the laptop would be up front and bunny under your seat. Or just put the laptop over head and bunny under seat. Should be ok either way though. :D

Back