Rabbit hemorrhagic disease

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreo1

Reaction score
Hi- has anyone had cases of this in NY? Has anyone vaccinated their rabbit? Thanks

I am in CT and we had a few cases in 2022 around Hartford county area the affected a rabbitry. I believe they lost 13-14 rabbits and the source was never found. I have not heard of any other outbreaks for quite some time.

After hearing of this, we choose to keep our rabbits indoors and no longer allow them to roam in the yard.

I did have one of my 4-H girls vaccinate her rabbit and had they no issues with it. I believe it is a 2 series vaccine and then an annual booster there after. The bunny has shown no side affects. I hope this helps.

Are people can vaccinating their rabbits?
Yes! I live in Westchester County (NY) and my bunny has been getting annual RHDV2 vaccinations for the past 3 years. Even tho she's an indoor bun, I don't want to take any chances because you never know what you're bringing into the house on your shoes, or even potentially in hay, etc.

Last edited:
Are people can vaccinating their rabbits?
Midwest here, but my vet started vaccinating once she was comfortable with the safety profile.

I got mine vaccinated as soon as I could. They're indoors 24/7, but I like to bring in dandelions & stuff from the yard for them to eat.

Indoor sanctuary buns. Special needs and elders. We also have our trusted DVM visit our sanctuary home to vaccinate the crew.

When RHVD2 was first talked about and with the safe vaccine, it made sense. Our furry family often have outdoor time in a safe guinea pig housing unit. We also have a cherished cottontail that we interact with! I am grateful that no nearby cases have been reported. La Crosse, WI, area is the closest with three buns getting RHVD2.

Thankfully (some) shelters and rescue groups are aware of the stats and Vaccinate.
The disease can spread easily via foot traffic and insects. Thanks for the links @overhear and @JBun.

Because we make numerous trips to the DVM with our sanctuary crew, I have to ask what protocol the DVM clinic is using nowadays for new clients that have outdoor-kept pets. Extreme cautions wrt the spread in non-contagious areas has lessened, imo. No adverse reactions in any of our crew. I will not take chances with our cherished companions.

https://rhdv2.org/2022/08/17/wisconsin-confirms-first-rhdv2-case/

Latest posts

Back