My Bun has died

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was so shocked, I went to feed her on Wednesday and found her dead, there had been a big rainstorm that night (thunder, etc), and I think she might have gotten too scared.
I felt terrible, and then lifted her out of her pen to bury her. I don't know what happened, she has been fine with other rainstorms. In the afternoon she had been quite aware of things, she had been checking out things cocking her head and ears, a bit more than usual, but I thought it just might have been because of the rain falling on the roof.
Maybe another hidy spot for her would of helped, I don't know

If there were absolutely no signs previously of lethargy or being unwell, it's likely it was heart related, though this is just a guess. Rabbits in general, seem to be more prone to heart issues, and those being triggered by stressful events. This could even be a very minor stressor. I don't know if it's because there's a congenital defect with the heart, or just a generalized susceptibility as a species.

If it was cardiac related, it's unlikely there's anything you could have done to change the outcome. Her heart would have always been susceptible to this happening unfortunately. It's one of those difficult aspects of having a prey animal as a pet, they can be much more affected by any amount of stress.

I know how heartbreaking it is experiencing this. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you JBun for the help. I nearly cried the other night because I couldn't help her and depressed that it had happened. She was my very special Bun, she said hello to me with a lick in the mornings when I bent down to clean her cage, she would hop up her ramp to the loft and lick my head when I bent down.

My Dash was like that. The sweetest bunny ever. I was heartbroken when she passed suddenly. It's hard losing a loved pet you have such a close bond with.

So sorry for your loss--rabbits are so good at hiding problems and, sometimes it just happens out of the blue. Had a couple of youngsters that were fine in the morning and gone in the afternoon--sometimes it just happens that way no matter how hard we strive--breaks your heart!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I haven't ever seen my bunny disturbed by thunder but she will suddenly react to things in the environment (maybe sounds or smells) that are completely imperceptible to me.

Whatever it was, so sorry. Sending hugs.

Latest posts

Back