Is Meloxicam safe for my senior rabbit with EC and kidney concerns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeckyFord

Reaction score
My rabbit is being treated for EC with panacur - vet prescribed. I saw advice on this page that meloxicam would be helpful too but my vet said since he is 7 (senior for his breed) it might be bad for his kidneys. He is eating pellets and critical care (not eating as much hay as he should right now). He has hind end paralysis in one leg and been on panacur for a week and a half. Thank you for this forums. I had never heard of EC so the education component of this forums is helpful.

Sorry if this is not allowed.

Have xrays been done to see if he has spondylosis or arthritis? My 12-year-old rabbit has bad spondylosis and started getting daily meloxicam 2 months ago when his left hind leg became completely unusable. Prior to that, I only gave it once every week or two because I too worried about the effect on his kidneys, especially since he has had bladder sludge and stones and urinary issues for several years. I finally realized he had enough to deal with not being able to get around without also being in pain. We are not treating for e.c. since my vet thinks this is a spinal or nerve problem.

Since yours is being treated for e.c., I would lean towards giving meloxicam. Much of what I’ve read says that meloxicam helps with the inflammation caused by e.c. and the “die-off” caused by treatment. Plus, if he actually doesn’t have e.c. and arthritis is really the problem, then e.c. treatment won’t help with pain from that. Eating less hay could be a sign of pain. My bunny has had a much better appetite and is eating hay all day now that he’s on daily meloxicam.

A week’s trial of daily meloxicam shouldn’t hurt his kidneys and might give you a better idea of how much good it might do. Do make sure he is well-hydrated, though. My bunny gets sub-Q fluids when he isn’t drinking enough, and I soak his pellets and wet his twice-daily salads for extra fluids. Since he can’t get up by himself now, I also make sure to offer him a low bowl of water several times a day.

Back