I Don't Neuter or Spay My Pets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruth

Reaction score
I hold a very different opinion to I believe most other people on this subject. I have never neutered or spayed a rabbit. To this day it has caused me no problems. I was always told that their personalities change and you need to keep them cute, well so far and I suppose lucky me, they have remained that way. Over the years I have had two girls and one boy who had one month of being hormonal but I have been blessed with peculiarly sweet rabbits and they all calmed down after that month.

I was kind of wondering if there was anyone else who preferred to leave their animals intact?

You've lucked out then. Long ago I didn't use to unless I was bonding a male rabbit to another rabbit. But later on with all my rabbits indoors, and after getting repeatedly sprayed in the face and having the whole room covered in urine from my buck, fixing them was essential for my sanity :p Plus this rabbit couldn't be bonded to the group until he was neutered.

I tried bonding an unneutered pretty calm male to other fixed rabbits, and it just didn't work. Always lead to him bothering the other rabbits with excessive humping, and causing increasing agitation and problems in the group.

As for unspayed does, I had a 7 yr old doe develop uterine abnormalities, luckily not cancerous yet. Got her spayed and she was ok, though much harder and dangerous recovery being older, than with my younger does. All girl rabbits were spayed after this.

When planning on having bonded rabbits, especially the males who really almost always have to be fixed to bond, it usually is better not having those hormones interfering with the process. Occasionally fixing can affect their personality, but not usually. I'd say more so a risk with the males if it does happen. My girl rabbits hardly changed at all, just less frisky.

If not bonding, there's not as much necessity to get the males fixed except for the annoying hormonal issues like the spraying, humping, possible hormonal aggression, and much smellier urine. The females, there's just the increased risk of possible uterine cancer as the rabbit ages.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

You've lucked out then. Long ago I didn't use to unless I was bonding a male rabbit to another rabbit. But later on with all my rabbits indoors, and after getting repeatedly sprayed in the face and having the whole room covered in urine from my buck, fixing them was essential for my sanity :p Plus this rabbit couldn't be bonded to the group until he was neutered.
Haha! I knew I had, but that is bad! Pee everywhere sounds insane!
As for unspayed does, I had a 7 yr old doe develop uterine abnormalities, luckily not cancerous yet. Got her spayed and she was ok, though much harder and dangerous recovery being older, than with my younger does.
That makes sense.
When planning on having bonded rabbits, especially the males who really almost always have to be fixed to bond, it usually is better not having those hormones interfering with the process. Occasionally fixing can affect their personality, but not usually. I'd say more so a risk with the males if it does happen. My girl rabbits hardly changed at all, just less frisky.
True, I haven't bonded males. I've had them in adjoining hutches and runs but even then they weren't aggressive towards each other which I know is my luck. I did have two boys who did like to fight, but what shocked me, is that it was more like play-fighting. Neither of them pulled fur or ever hurt the other at all and they both were happy afterwards. Weirdest thing I have encountered. I don't generally risk that because I think that kind of "bond" if you can call it that, is rare enough it's not going to happen again.
But yeah I don't try to bond boys when they are older of if they are around girls, which is a downside but it doesn't bother me too much.
If not bonding, there's not as much necessity to get the males fixed except for the annoying hormonal issues like the spraying, humping, possible hormonal aggression, and much smellier urine.
I heard some bunnies will hump even after they are spayed/neutered though?

The females, there's just the increased risk of possible uterine cancer as the rabbit ages.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits
I've heard about cancer. I'm not too worried about it. I know it's bad but I lost a pet to a neuter gone wrong and that was traumatic. It was with a doctor I had taken animals too before for the process as well. So I guess I decided I would rather risk the cancer than risk surgery again.

Latest posts

Back