Hello!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbun

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a mom from the Midwest who is planning to adopt a rabbit in about 6 months and joining the forum in order to post a few questions. My daughter (age 9.5) has been a bunny lover her whole life and begging us for a pet rabbit for years (yes, years). We've done a lot of research at this point, so I'm at the point where it's time to get some community input for my more specific questions.

Hi, so my first piece of advice I'd say is adopt. I have 2 rabbits, my girl is 8 yrs old and my male rescue will be 5 this year. It's not easy at all, a lot of training (litterbox training) and bunny proofing had to happen before I could free roam. They needed to be spayed and neutered because they reproduce like crazy and also a ton of health issues can occur if you don't. Plus neutering and spaying makes litterbox training easier. They hate being locked in anything so I decided to give it my all and research how to free roam. If you can't free roam I would get an x-pen at least. A lot of time and patience is needed with rabbits. Their trust needs to be gained definitely. Try laying on the floor with a book and grab a small piece of banana to help lure them and gain your trust. They hate being picked up, at least mine both do.
I actually know someone who bought a rabbit when their daughter was about 10 and now she's a pre-teen and they're trying to give their rabbit away to me because she no longer wants it. It's sad because I can't take her so now who know where this poor rabbit will end up. Just please take into consideration when making your decision that rabbits can live anywhere from 8 to 13 years and they are very costly (hay,litter, fresh lettuces, veterinarian, etc). For this reason they say they're not kid friendly but if you're willing to do the work and take over in case she changes her mind then yaaaay. I would go on youtube and search lennon the bunny or the bunny lady or research why rabbits would make good pets and why they wouldn't just so you get a real idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Hi and welcome to the forum! You’ve just been given a wealth of information to ponder and think about! I knew nothing about what I was getting into. My fault!! I lost my husband and so I got a bunny! Minx is now 2 1/2 and I love her to pieces! ❤️💞💓💕👏👏🐇🐇
But it’s been a learning process! I’ve had baseboards chewed. She scratched a section of tile off my floor…she has found cords to chew and yes! They are expensive!!! The fresh greens especially! But she is precious and I love her! She is cute and funny and makes me laugh! I don’t come home to an empty h house! She greets me with kisses on my nose because she know she gets a treat,!,,
So do your homework …and make decision…I don’t think you’ll be sorry!

Hi and welcome to the forum! You’ve just been given a wealth of information to ponder and think about! I knew nothing about what I was getting into. My fault!! I lost my husband and so I got a bunny! Minx is now 2 1/2 and I love her to pieces! ❤️💞💓💕👏👏🐇🐇
But it’s been a learning process! I’ve had baseboards chewed. She scratched a section of tile off my floor…she has found cords to chew and yes! They are expensive!!! The fresh greens especially! But she is precious and I love her! She is cute and funny and makes me laugh! I don’t come home to an empty h house! She greets me with kisses on my nose because she know she gets a treat,!,,
What a lovely story.
I too got my amazing rabbit during a very hard time in my life. My first born grandson was killed just 3 months after turning 18 years old. Two days before our first Christmas without him I was down and out for 2 weeks with covid. I had 5 'good' days and then I was bedridden for 6 weeks from sciatica. Long story short, we adopted a 2 year old male from the Humane Society. My mind and time and emotions had an outlet. I am enthralled with rabbits. I had NO IDEA how emotionally intelligent they are, how incredible their memory is and how very very rewarding it is to gain their trust and affection.
View attachment 20240713_175323.mp4

Attachments

• 20240713_175323.mp4
    30.6 MB
What a lovely story.
I too got my amazing rabbit during a very hard time in my life. My first born grandson was killed just 3 months after turning 18 years old. Two days before our first Christmas without him I was down and out for 2 weeks with covid. I had 5 'good' days and then I was bedridden for 6 weeks from sciatica. Long story short, we adopted a 2 year old male from the Humane Society. My mind and time and emotions had an outlet. I am enthralled with rabbits. I had NO IDEA how emotionally intelligent they are, how incredible their memory is and how very very rewarding it is to gain their trust and affection.
View attachment 66242
She’s a little darling’💞💕❤️🤗🤗

Hi, so my first piece of advice I'd say is adopt. I have 2 rabbits, my girl is 8 yrs old and my male rescue will be 5 this year. It's not easy at all, a lot of training (litterbox training) and bunny proofing had to happen before I could free roam. They needed to be spayed and neutered because they reproduce like crazy and also a ton of health issues can occur if you don't. Plus neutering and spaying makes litterbox training easier. They hate being locked in anything so I decided to give it my all and research how to free roam. If you can't free roam I would get an x-pen at least. A lot of time and patience is needed with rabbits. Their trust needs to be gained definitely. Try laying on the floor with a book and grab a small piece of banana to help lure them and gain your trust. They hate being picked up, at least mine both do.
I actually know someone who bought a rabbit when their daughter was about 10 and now she's a pre-teen and they're trying to give their rabbit away to me because she no longer wants it. It's sad because I can't take her so now who know where this poor rabbit will end up. Just please take into consideration when making your decision that rabbits can live anywhere from 8 to 13 years and they are very costly (hay,litter, fresh lettuces, veterinarian, etc). For this reason they say they're not kid friendly but if you're willing to do the work and take over in case she changes her mind then yaaaay. I would go on youtube and search lennon the bunny or the bunny lady or research why rabbits would make good pets and why they wouldn't just so you get a real idea of what you're getting yourself into.
:D yes to this...I have watched all of their stuff already and am definitely ready to be involved...as much as I love my daughter and support our getting a pet, I don't trust her to do all the taking care of, and I'm sensitive to the well-being of pets as well, so I'm doing all the research and prepared to be heavily involved. Luckily, we finally got my husband on board with the idea, so he'll be happy to help out, too. We are thinking that we'll have a grid pen (about 3' x 5') for when we first take it home and it's acclimating, or for at night or when we're out, but then we'll have a couple designated free-roaming rooms, and we'll have to adapt to what needs rabbit-proofing once we know its habits.

Minx looks beautiful!

Latest posts

Back