Hay feeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydick484

Reaction score
Hi!
What does everyone use for a hay feeder with a free roamer? I have the wire cage feeder hooked on the side of my bunny's metal litter box, but it really is not ideal. It slips off all the time, and is getting hay near our heater. It's getting colder and I want the hay away from the heater before we turn it on this year. Any suggestions? Thanks!

My way of feeding hay is putting it directly in the litter box and refreshing twice daily. I used to be hesitant to feed hay that way when I first heard of that idea. But it turned out that it works just great. They won't eat soiled hay but they get hay quite easily.

There are some other options shown on the following page...
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/hay.html

My way of feeding hay is putting it directly in the litter box and refreshing twice daily. I used to be hesitant to feed hay that way when I first heard of that idea. But it turned out that it works just great. They won't eat soiled hay but they get hay quite easily.

There are some other options shown on the following page...
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/hay.html
Thanks. I may try that again.

I've tried a variety of feeders home-built out of wood and dowels. I've left some of them in place; but, like Blue Eyes I've learned the rabbits prefer their hay on the floor. If you stop to think about it, rabbits graze down low on the ground. Eating off the floor is the closest one can come to duplicating their natural grazing instincts.

Hi!
What does everyone use for a hay feeder with a free roamer? I have the wire cage feeder hooked on the side of my bunny's metal litter box, but it really is not ideal. It slips off all the time, and is getting hay near our heater. It's getting colder and I want the hay away from the heater before we turn it on this year. Any suggestions? Thanks!

After lots of trial and error I ended up leaving my bunny's cage in the living room with the door open as a feeding station. I put a big doormat over it to make it more of a hidey place for her and less ugly for us.

For her hay feeder, I use a plastic dishpan for litter and a dollar store basket for hay. I cut a rectangular slot out of one end of the dishpan so the hay basket fits into it and can sit on an angle. It's sounds confusing but is actually really simple! Attaching pictures here ...

Attachments

• PXL_20240913_135055060.jpg
    PXL_20240913_135055060.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240913_135049914.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240913_135049914.MP.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
After lots of trial and error I ended up leaving my bunny's cage in the living room with the door open as a feeding station. I put a big doormat over it to make it more of a hidey place for her and less ugly for us.

For her hay feeder, I use a plastic dishpan for litter and a dollar store basket for hay. I cut a rectangular slot out of one end of the dishpan so the hay basket fits into it and can sit on an angle. It's sounds confusing but is actually really simple! Attaching pictures here ...
Wow, that is inventive! Thank you for the idea. My husband wants to build something, but I probably have items to use already.

I put lot of hay in litter boxes -- somehow my two house rabbits ended up with six litter boxes throughout the house -- and use smaller wood (pine, I believe) baskets from a local store.

Latest posts

Back