Breed identification help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RipleyLLC

Reaction score
Hi all! Hope ever is having a lovely day!

I need help identifying three breeds of rabbit that I have. The first is a lovely little rabbit with a huge personality. She has kind of wavy fur and is very different than the others. She maybe about four pounds but most likely three. Her picture is the first.

The second are four sisters. They have varying personalities. But they are about five pounds maybe six

The third is my Queenie. She's a bigger girl. Maybe ten pounds. She humps a lot, very socially awkward, she gets mad and tears and throws things around. She has the softest fur I have ever felt in my life. And she has a lot of rolls 😂

If anyone can help me identify them, that would be amazing 🤩!

Attachments

• 123_1.jpg
    123_1.jpg
    96.6 KB
  • 123_1 (5).jpg
    123_1 (5).jpg
    170.2 KB
  • 123_1 (2).jpg
    123_1 (2).jpg
    71.6 KB
  • 123_1 (1).jpg
    123_1 (1).jpg
    55 KB
  • 123_1 (3).jpg
    123_1 (3).jpg
    65.5 KB
  • 123_1 (4).jpg
    123_1 (4).jpg
    90.9 KB
If Queenie has very dense plush fur (feels a bit like velvet), she would be a rex like Jocee suggests.

The others really don't have specific enough characteristics to determine any particular breed, so would be considered a mix. Which is typically the case for most rabbits without known parentage and no unique identifying characteristics (eg unique type: of fur, body, size, color, or ear position).

Two of the sisters appear to have a mostly white coloring in the photos. If their coloring is less than 10% of their body, they would be considered 'charlies' (rabbits that are mostly white). That's the only different trait I can see, but that won't determine breed at all for them.

Though if they are charlie's, you should be aware that these types of rabbits can sometimes have a genetic digestive disorder called megacolon. If you've noticed oval or irregularly shaped fecal poop being consistently produced on a daily basis, this is the typical indicator of the disorder. If you haven't seen this irregular poop yet (on a consistent daily basis), with them already being a year old, then it's unlikely they inherited the trait.

https://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Mega/mega_en.htm

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Megacolon

https://vgr1.com/megacolon/

But if they do have this and you weren't aware what it was until now, it will likely mean a discussion with your vet and putting the affected rabbits on a very specific diet and possibly some meds, to best manage it, if they ever start showing digestive or other health problems because of it. My rabbit with megacolon did best on a no pellet/low carb high fiber/hay diet, but other MC rabbits can have different dietary needs. Hopefully yours either aren't charlie's, or don't have this if they are, as it can be a very difficult health problem to manage.

The first one Evi, aside from her spots, her fur type reminds me a lot of my lionhead mix so if she's not a purebred she may have a little of that in her.

The rest are probably rex mix, especially if you got them all from the same breeder. Where I live the breeders tend to have rex or new zealand rabbits, holland lops, and sometimes silver fox and flemish giants. So they could be a mix of some of those breeds, well asides from the lop. My guess is the four are a mini-rex mix as they don't have the rex fur. Maybe a mini-rex and new zealand mix?

From what I can tell from the picture, it looks like Queenie's fur is more plush which would probably indicate that she has more rex in her but wow she is big! My biggest bunnies are 8lbs... Maybe she was mixed with a Flemish or New Zealand?

Obviously genes do get mixed but you can still have some that come out more pronounced than others and it's fun to try to find what breeds they might have in them.

Latest posts

Back