When does one really take ownership of an adopted pet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whether or not that it was a breach of contract, I think some shelters are WAY too stingent on their policies. Then they wonder why they can't adopt out any animals! Why? Because no one but Jesus with a big yard and lots of moola w/ no children under 12 ...and no other pets can adopt them. It gets ridiculous sometimes. In order to adopt Latte, I spend 2 hours waiting around, just to fill out paper work (5 pages of it), get questioned, etc. BTW, Latte had been in the shelter when he was 7 weeks old, only to be returned there at 4 months old. I adopted him at 6 months. He waited there for 2 whole months, alone w/ no foster parents, waiting to be adopted or as I now know, euthanized.

If the shelter wants to do the right thing, they should let the family try to adopt Iggy back by going through the proper procedures instead of just being bullies. And Ellen should just be quiet about it; it's a personal issue.

I'm sorry. I just have to step in and give my 2 cents worth.

I work for a dog rescue. I can't stress how important it is for the group to know exactly where that dog is and have the proper paperwork to prove it. Especially if they are a nonprofit federaly funded group. In fact, just a few days ago I had to threaten to take a dog back because of lack of paperwork. Rules are rules, and contracts are legally binding PERIOD. The rules of no children under 14 are there for a reason. If they are broken because of a stupid celebrity making a fuss, then everyone is going to want exceptions.

I take great offense at the fact that the rescue's rules and regulations are expected to be thrown out the door because the Great Ellen spoke.

I don't think the rules should be broken... but i think the family should have been considered for adoption(if they weren't).... it wasn't their fault it was ellens fault... I just think that they should have seen how the dog was treated ... if it had everything it needs... and vet care... ect...

binkies wrote:
The rules of no children under 14 are there for a reason. If they are broken because of a stupid celebrity making a fuss, then everyone is going to want exceptions.

I take great offense at the fact that the rescue's rules and regulations are expected to be thrown out the door because the Great Ellen spoke.

I haven't changed my opinion on anything because of celebrities. I've had this issue with many shelters.

Yes, what she did was wrong legally. I get that and I can't argue over a legal contract. But...for a shelter to not adopt to a family with 11 and 12 year olds who ARE capable of taking responsiblity for pets is wrong. And it didn't start with me with this situation. I've seen it happen over and over where people finally just buy from pet stores because the shelter regulations are insane.

My mom had dogs ALL her life (from the time she was 2 on). So, her family wouldn't have been able to get a dog because SHE was too young? She never abused animals; she loved them from the start, so why is it wrong to let her family adopt. I'm sorry, but its crazy to me.

Back