Reddish eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello bunny lovers!
My Flemish giants left eye is very red and it kind of looks like blood but I sure hope it isn’t. My other little dwarf bunny washes his eyes on a daily basis, and I’m not sure if it’s because of that? I had him outside on grass about two days ago, and there was nothing. I’ve only first seen it now… can anyone help? 🥲

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpeg
    IMG_4013.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
My Ruth had something that looked exactly like that, even more blood. I reckon it was an insect bite, 2 days later nothing to be seen.

I would just wipe it with cooled boiled water and cotton wool. It could be a hay poke. If not better in a couple of days, I would go to the rabbit vet.

By 'other little dwarf bunny washes his eyes' , do you mean they're a bonded pair and you've seen your little bun grooming near the eyes of your big rabbit?

By 'other little dwarf bunny washes his eyes' , do you mean they're a bonded pair and you've seen your little bun grooming near the eyes of your big rabbit?
Yes they’re a bonded pair, and she grooms him near the eyes. They wash themselves frequently, so I immediately thought about bacteria but I don’t know

I would just wipe it with cooled boiled water and cotton wool. It could be a hay poke. If not better in a couple of days, I would go to the rabbit vet.
I’ve wiped it with some cooled boiled water and it’s still a little red but better. Thank you, I really hope it’ll be better sooon, xx

I had a bonded pair where something similar happened. It was due to the buns companion overgrooming the corner of the eye, causing a small sore to develop, but not becoming infected as there wasn't any white or yellowish discharge. So just a small sore from irritation from too much licking on the area.

What I did was rub a light layer of vaseline on that skin and sore at the corner of the eye, but not getting it in the eye. It did help to some extent to help keep it soft and help it heal. The trick is applying it when it won't be immediately groomed off by either rabbit, such as right at feeding time when they're both distracted, and hopefully doesn't cause more licking of the area to get it off. But it was an ongoing problem that I had to continually keep trying to prevent it getting sore again.

Latest posts

Back