Questions about a female rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie411

Reaction score
I have a Holland lop who is about 6 months old. I got her from a breeder when she was 5 weeks, which is a bit younger than I would have preferred her be weaned but.. anyway she and I have been very bonded. She lives in a 5x7 walk-in cage, and had free range of the living room everyday when I'm home. I'm retired so I'm home everyday. She's always enjoyed sitting on the couch with me and she loved to snuggle and be petted. When she turned 5 months she suddenly began to bite my ankles every time I walked into her cage to clean her litter box or to feed and water her. She growls and nips and has gotten my fingers a couple of times really hard. I know that in a perfect world she should be spayed but I have called every vet in the surrounding area and no one will see a rabbit. We live out in the country. So spaying is not an option. Can anyone tell me if she will calm down over time? It's gotten to the point where I can't let her out anymore. She does love for me to pet her if I reach into the cage but if I walk into the cage I will get bit. Which I have to do every day to feed and water her. So I have resorted to tall bedroom shoes to save my ankles. I do love my rabbit and she's happy. She runs and plays and does all of her regular rabbit things but I just can't snuggle with her anymore. Is there any hope for the future?

I don't spay my rabbits and all of the girls I own that have been hormonal for a time have calmed down, so there is definitely hope. In my experience if they get that hormonal they are only a jerk for about a month or less, but my sister had one girl that was that way for a few months. Thankfully she's nice now.

I don't spay my rabbits and all of the girls I own that have been hormonal for a time have calmed down, so there is definitely hope. In my experience if they get that hormonal they are only a jerk for about a month or less, but my sister had one girl that was that way for a few months. Thankfully she's nice now.
Thank you so much! I'm glad to know that there's a good chance she might calm down. I've been really worried because I couldn't find anything online that had to do with not spaying a female.

Latest posts

Back