Paralyzed Baby Cottontail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4Bunjamin

Reaction score
New to the site. My husband and I found a baby bunny in our yard over the weekend that appears to have been born with their back legs paralyzed...His eyes are open and he has the white streak on his head so we are estimating that he is around 6 weeks old. We brought him in over the weekend.

I called a few local rehabs and no one in the area will take cottontails, especially disabled ones. We don't want him to die in our yard or get eaten because he is slow, but he seems totally healthy otherwise. He has been active with an appetite and energy. He has been demolishing the dandelions and hay we have been leaving for him. He doesn't appear to be in pain and it really looks as if he has been paralyzed since birth because he is well acclimated and his front legs are strong. He also has regular poop and bladder function.

I am totally at a loss! I guess I wanted to ask what anyone's experience with having/raising/taming a cottontail is. Since he is so young, will he acclimate? We don't want him to die in the yard...and we don't want him to get euthanized if he is otherwise healthy...

Our thought is probably to get him strong enough and maybe build/buy him a bunny coop for our yard when he's bigger? It's better than death right?

Attachments

• Bun 1.jpg
    Bun 1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Bun 2.jpg
    Bun 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Bun 3.jpg
    Bun 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
It's very good that he's relaxed enough around you to still eat well. A very stressed rabbit wouldn't eat well, or at all sometimes, which can result in digestive shutdown and the rabbit starving itself if proper medical care isn't received. There have been a few members on here in the past, that have cared for cottontails, one long term. So it is possible for it to work out.

Really the only options other than finding a licensed rehabber(NOT a raptor rehabber) that will keep him and take care of him permanently, or having him euthanized, is to take him in as a pet yourself, or to find someone else who will. Like Blue Eyes mentioned, in most states it's illegal to care for wildlife without the proper license, so you'd need to check your state wildlife laws.

If you do decide you want to continue to care for him permanently and your state requires a license, to do this legally you could obtain a rehab license, which would also mean he could then receive vet care when needed. I believe the license involves a test, and probably a licensing fee. I just watched a YouTube video about a guy that found a disabled squirrel and decided to study for and get the license, so he could care for the squirrel permanently as a licensed rehabber. So that is a possible solution.

It's good that you've only fed natural food the bunny would be used to eating and not tried feeding commercial rabbit food. Just be aware that baby rabbits in particular, have a very sensitive digestive system and any sudden food changes can sometimes cause a severe disruption to the delicate balance of a rabbits gut. This can be a fatal thing in some cases. High carb and sugary foods are especially important to avoid until a rabbit is older, and then these foods should be very limited to small amounts, and only fed if no digestive upset occurs.

If you do end up keeping the bunny, you won't have to maintain a wild diet permanently. Good quality (no mold) grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, etc) is a staple in pet rabbits diet and is one of the best foods for their digestive health. And can usually be given right away without having to gradually introduce into the diet, as it rarely causes digestive upset. Wild greens like the dandelion, and other rabbit safe forage the bunny is used to, can continue to be fed. In a few weeks, other greens and veg could be introduced into the diet gradually, starting with small amounts, one at a time per week. Commercial pelleted feed could be introduced later if needed, but should be very gradually introduced over several weeks. I'd also stick with a high quality brand like oxbow, sherwood, science select, etc.

Here's a bunch more info on domestic rabbits in case you do become his permanent carer.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Herbs/herbs_en.htm

www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Food/Veg/Veg_en.htm

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Baby rabbit diet

Understanding how a rabbits digestive system functions and what normal poop looks like, is an essential part of pet rabbit care, as changes in this can signal the development of health issues, some serious.

Rabbits digestive system

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

https://rabbit.org/care/gi-stasis/

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies

He's a cute little guy and was very lucky you found him. It's unlikely he would have survived long with that disability.

@4Bunjamin , Are you able to get in touch with Dana Krempels? Contact her through Facebook or through University of Miami dot edu / She has written numerous articles on rabbit care.

She may offer additional assistance on this. Cottontails and domestics are very dear to my heart so I commend you for not simply "tossing" him out to be killed. I knew another rehab woman who was able to offer an injured cottontail QOL for the time Jeopardized Cottontail stayed in her care.

DNR and other places will view this special needs' lagomorph as disposable object b/c focus can be geared to the more "hollywood"-type predators.

Thanks everyone! This has all been SO HELPFUL so far! Little Bunjamin is still doing so well! We added Timothy Hay to his diet yesterday and he continues to be super active and quite ravenous honestly! He definitely seems to be growing as well.

Next I want to figure out what handling looks like...any thoughts on touch and interaction? Since he is disabled and will likely need more hands on help overtime I want to make sure we are introducing touch in helpful constructive ways. I have held him a few times which usually results in peeing and pooping, so I know he doesn't exactly love it...I spend time everyday down at eye level talking to him while stroking his head and back gently which he doesn't move away from or spook at.

We do have him in a large rabbit cage in my husband's office, so he see's us regularly and can hear our voices throughout the day. He has a box to hide in if he were scared, but he spends most of his time out and about even in the day and when we are in the room. I am reading this all as positive less fearful reinforcement, but want to continue being as intentional as possible.

Back