Jonas pees on me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vpenna

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old male dwarf holland lop. Hewas fixed as soon as he was able to be fixed. He has been litterboxtrained since i got him but he still pees on people's laps andoccasionally on things that smell like me, like my comforter. Heregularly goes in his litter box except when being held. I don't knowwhat to do, I always guide him to his box and clean up the mess withvinegar, but it is not pleasant for guests. Please help

Hello! Welcome to the site!

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't have any experience inoutside-the-box peeing (except if you count Flower's booty stickingover the side of the box and she doesn't know it). Someone'llbe along shortly to help you out, though! :)

I just wanted to welcome you to the site, and say a little hello! :)

Rosie*

I feel that he usually does it for a reason,such as we are eating someting he wants and we don't give it to him orsometimes even if he is just sitting on my lap almost asleep (I am notrestaining him in any way) he will just pee on me instead of getting upand going to his litter box. He almost never has random accidentsaround the house; it is usually on people's laps or on item that smelllike me(rarely). I am not really sure how to prevent thisfrom happening so if anyone has any Ideas please let me know

Has he ever been checked for a urinary tractinfection? It's odd to me that he's to lazy to get up and peewhile he's cuddled in your lap. I think it's worth having avet check it out.

I haven't offically had him checked out, but asfar as symptoms go he is actually a very active bunny and he has nevershown any signs of discomfort and he drinks plenty of water. He hastons of energy as soon as I kick him off my lap for peeing on me - heruns to his cage. I dont think he has any sludge and he has alwaysbehaved this way ( I thought he would grow out of it after a year) ithasn't gotten any better or worse. Although now that I am getting fedup with it I might get him checked out.

Rabbits can be very good at hiding signs ofdiscomfort, and often the only sign of a urinary tract infection isunusual urination habits. Or sludge, but not all rabbits getthat with infection.

He could also have some sort of weakness in his bladder muscles(incontinence), but I don't know how they'd test for that.

Thanks I guess I will take him in, Ijust am worried that it is all behavioral, and vet visits for rabbitsaround here are not cheap. BUt if it really is a problem I don't wanthim to suffer :(

I found out what the problem was! He never likedsalt licks or could never quite figure them out so I found a supplimentto put in his water that had all kinds of nutrients in it and I hadassumed it contained salt. I was reading the bottle and realized therewas no salt in it and my poor bun was not getting any salt intake andhe could not keep the water in his system. It went right through himevery 20 minutes so he would drink more water and get dehydratedfaster. His weight also fluctuated a lot until now. He is much happier.I rigged up a second water bottle with salt water in it.Don't underestimate those salt licks!

If he eats pellets, he does not need a salt lickand should not be getting salt water. Even buns on ano-pellet diet with lots of veggies don't need salt licks.They're made because owners think the rabbits need them.;)

If he has trouble with fluids passing through him, you should haveblood tests done to check for kidney function. This is acommon, inexpensive test.

he is on an only timothy hay diet with a few veggies here and there. Do you think the salt water bottle is bad for him?

Why is he on that diet? Was itprescribed by a vet? Does this vet actually know much aboutrabbit nutrition? This is the equivalent ofa humanliving on nothing but brown rice. It does not provide thenecessary nutrition, even with supplements in the water.Supplements like that are usually not fully absorbed and can't compareto getting itfrom an appropriate food source.

Please start feeding him at least a small amount of pellets.They provide fiber, protein (which he is severely lacking at themoment), and vitamins and minerals. The less pellets youfeed, the more veggies are needed.I know manypeople who feed only a tablespoon or two of pellets to ensure therabbit is getting his vitamins, and then give a large amount ofveggies. For no-pellet diets, I've seen severalrecommendations tofeed a pile of veggies the size of therabbit with at least three, preferably more, types. Theyshould also be getting multiple types of grass hay and maybe a littlealfalfa.

I know you probably meant well, but it takes a lot of work and researchto properly feed a rabbit without pellets. There's lots ofinfo in Bunny 101 if you still want to try. I researched it alot and decided to continue feeding at least some pellets and lots ofveggies. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to give themproper nutrition without any pellets.

I think switching to an appropriate diet would prevent his problemswith water retention and might even improve bladder function.And yes, take the salt water away. Was that his only watersource? Rabbitsshould havefresh water, orslightly flavored if you need to encourage them to drink more.

Yeah I guess wrongly, I was advised by my vetthat the pellets were only for young growing rabbits and hadtoomuch protein and fat and that he would get obese and haveheart problems from it and that I should stick to only timmothy hay. Ido feed him a mixture of seeds and corn products that is for rabbitsand guinnea pigs, but only about once a week. I feel bad that I had himon the wrong diet,:( I thought I was being a better owner than when Ikept my rabbits outside and fed them only pellets. Thanks forthe advice.

That's okay. Lots of people made thatmistake. But are you sure your vet didn't recommendtimothy-based pellets? Alfalfa pellets can be too rich forsome adults, but timothy pellets are designed for adultrabbits. Two commonly found timothy pellets are Oxbow BunnyBasics/T (I feed this) and Kaytee Timothy Complete.

For a treat, why not try a raisin or a few flakes of rolled oats(Quaker Old Fashioned) instead? Less expensive thanstore-bought treats, and corn isn't good for rabbits either.

Latest posts

Back