Is anyone else vegitarian?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollybaby

Reaction score
I would just like toknow is anyone else vegitarian? I am because i have seen what they do to animalsin slaughter houses:( and i love animals to much to do that to them.

[align=center]Madeline[/align]

I kinda am. I only eat grilled chicken. the other kinds are disgusting. Sometimes i don't eat any chicken becuse it makes me sick to my stomach thinking about what i am eating.

I definately am.

I love the Morning Star brand of food. It tastes just like meat without it actually being meat. Plus, it's much healthier for you.

:wave2

I can't even eat seafood anymore. I stopped eating fish because of the depleting stocks, but after being up close and personal with crabs and lobsters piled up in a tank in the market close to my house, I can't eat them, either. (I almost spent my last $50 on a poor lobster I was going to set free in the Pacific, but he/she was from the Atlantic, so it wasn't a good idea. Still shudder when I think of the poor thing). :cry2

I still eat eggs, but free-run only. Ieat cheese, though. I hope I'm not contributing to the torture of dairy cows. :(

I buy 'Yves' products, they're awesome. They started in Canada, but I can get a lot of it pretty easily in L.A., so I know it's out there.

(And eating chicken isn't even close to being a vegetarian, just makes you someone who doesn't eat 'red' meat).

sas :eats: (with eating habits loved by my bunnies and hated by my cats)

I call myself vegetarian, although I suppose I'd technically be classified as semi-vegetarian, since I will occasionally still have fish...and I do eat eggs, cheese, some dairy. But I gave up eating meat several years ago, at first because of health reasons and then later because I felt like a hippocrite, eating meat when I love animals. (Personal feeling only...I don't feel that way about others who include meat in their diets.)

Several years ago I was cycling to work and had to stop to fix my brakes whilst going down a sidestreet. Back then there was still an old meathouse operating at the end of the street, and after I'd stopped across from it, was first engrossed with the problem my bike was having. But as I was kneeling down I had the odd sense that I was being watched; I turned around and looked, and there at the side of the road was a trailer filled with cattle, obviously destined for slaughter. I walked over to it and looked in, and the most beautiful big brown eyes stared back at me. Yet it was eerie, for except for the faint sound of their gentle breatheing, and the odd hoof shuffling on the boards, the cattle were all silent. I think they knew in some way what their fate was, and they stood there, crammed together in that small trailer, helpless to do anything but accept it.

I can't tell you how much I wanted to break down the door of that trailer and encourage them all to make a run for it, but even that would have been hopeless; for it would only have ended in stressing them out even more, and their fates would not have changed. And as I looked at these beautiful creatures I felt so close to them, and my heart cried for their souls. It would be another couple of years after that day before I finally gave up meat for good, but that scene remained with me, and it ultimately helped me to make my decision...and the sight of them standing there, in silence, will haunt me forever.

I've tried various types of meatless burgers and never cared for any of them (plus, some of them add spices to compensate for flavor and my mouth can't handle anything beyond very mild). Anyway, I found a recipe for homemade veggie burgers in a magazine a while ago and decided to give them a try, and I loved it! Here's the recipe if anyone else wants to give it a try:

Heavenly Earth Burgers

1-1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded carrot
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 teaspoons canola or olive oil

6 whole-wheat hamburger buns
lettuce, shredded or leaf
tomato, sliced
onion, sliced

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl. In a food processor, combine the egg, egg white, and chickpeas; cover and process until smooth. Stir into rice mixture. Shape into 6 patties.

In a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray (or lightly coated with oil), cook patties for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned and crisp. Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, and onion, and any favorite condiments.

1 burger = 320 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated), 35 mg cholesterol, 634 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 11 g protein.

I think it's really awesome that so many people are now starting to "convert" to being a vegetarian!

I was a very strict vegetarian for about 7 years, I participated in the FFA when I went to high school, and most of the animals we cared for all went to slaughter. Thats why I went all veggie!

A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with severe anemia, and was told that I needed to consumeat least a small amount ofmeat each week or risk adverse health affects. Reluctantly, I had some turkey, chicken, or fish at least twice a week... and I recovered almost immediately.

I only eat either turkey, chicken, or fish maximum 2 times a week.... I can't call myself a vegetarian anymore but I do feel better that I am not like the 85% of Americans that eat meat more than once a day. It's really horrible for you!

For some people, consuming meat is absolutely necessary, but never on the level at which most people consume it now. The horrible living conditions that slaughter animals have to endure is mostly due to mass production... if everyone cut their meatconsumption in half, can you imagine the number of animals that could be saved from this fate?!

:thumbupI applaudto all of you that have made the choice to go VEGGIE!!!:carrot

I wouldn't say I am a vegitarian, but I would not say I am big on meat either. I am with bunbunbinkie. I have to eat some meat or I don't feel well. My family has a history of aniema too, so that probably has something to do with it. I only eat kosher though. And I don't eat red meat unless my mom makes something with red meat in it (I am too laid back to be a picky eater) and I don't eat much chicken; Normally just a litltle in my rice and veggies.
I don't think red meat taste good. I will, however, eat venison. I never tasted "normal" meat until I was four (only venison), and then my dad was a vegitarian for a while, so I have never been big on meat. I could go vegitarian and not miss meat, but I don't want to cause problems. I come from a big family and then it would be dificult to cook if we all have diferent eating preferences. We are all kosher and I don't think we eat red meat either, except if someone gets a hamburger at wendys.
When I get out on my own I will probably try vegitarian, but if I become sick I will go back to having meat every once in a while.

Us girls have to eat meat to make sure we get enough blood becaause of our periods and we could get ill so that why I HAVE to eat meat especially red meat.
I would be a vegetarian becuase I hate eating animals but at our age HollyBaby I don't think we should be but my mum won't let me go vegi and boy have i tried to persuade her but she says when when your older you can choose what you eat as long as you stay healthy!

:happyrabbit:Yay! i am so proud of all you peoples for becoming vegitarian! and beleive me i no its hard. but what helps me is that i saw this horrible video on peta website were it shows how they get slaughtered. O my god! people are so cruel. and the worst part of it is thatanimals are being abused before slaughter and itsLEGAL!!! It showed this guy who worked at the slaughter house and he was picking up animals and throwing them againstbrick walls and then throwing a cinder block onits headand they cut it open. thishappened when the pig was fully contious!!!!!!!:shock::X:(

[align=center]madeline[/align]

I do admire you guys, but i'm not a vegetarian. I just couldn't do it. Although when i buy from supermarkets i do only buy the organic stuff. We get alot of meat from local farms, so i know its not as bad as some of the conditions animals are kept in. Buying meat from local farms makes me feel good, because i'm supporting something local and i know the animals are treated well. Afterall, its their livelihood!

Hey Guys & Girls;
Not to stir things up here, but I hope that you have had the opportunity to read procedural protocols on how to humanely kill all animals. These are created by government agencies with extensive input from animal welfare societies. As with trapping, the killing mechanisms are approved to ensure death within a specific timelimit; otherwise, the offending company will recieve HUGE sanctions and fines.

Madeline: Extensive abuse like you saw before slaughter is most definately illegal in most of the US and Canada. The footage is of a nasty someone who is breaking MANY laws!!!

PETA does a lot of great work for animal welfare, don't get me wrong, but they are not showing you the entire picture when it comes to slaughter. They show you the absolute worst of the worst (which is insanely horrific) to support their concepts.

I attended an open house on trapping up here in Northern Ontario this past winter; while I may not agree with all points of trapping theory, I have watched the demonstrations of traps at work. A volunteer grazed the jaws of the trap with a hardwood limb, and it was snapped in 2 faster than I could blink. Obviusly, any death would be faster than instantaneous. Traps are heavily regulated, as animal welfare organizations work closely with trap manufacturers to ensure an immediate death.

I applaud vegetarian efforts wholeheartedly (far better for the environment!), but it is also important to recognize the role of media-driven organizations in determining your perceptions about any given topic.

Just my .02,

Autumn

Latest posts

Back