HELP!! Parsley causing upset stomach? Need remedy for CD

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorrgannn

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My 18 week old holland lop had a case of cecal dysbiosis after a round of antibiotics a few weeks ago despite daily benebac gel during treatment.

I immediately put him on an all hay diet (even though he is eating alfalfa which I know is higher protein) and continued the 1g of probiotic each day which resolved it within a week.

Ever since he has been doing great, eats a haybag of alfalfa, 1 cup of romaine or spring mix with fresh herbs, and ~1/4 cup of science selective young rabbit pellets daily.

Yesterday I fed him some fresh parsley and within 10 minutes he was producing mushy wet cecotropes. I read on 1 forum that parsley can upset some rabbit’s digestive system but everywhere else says that it’s one of the healthiest greens to feed them.

Once again I have cut him back to all alfalfa hay which he is eating as normal and am waiting for Amazon to bring a new tube of benebac tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced this??? And any suggestions on what else to do to resolve this quickly??

How much parsley did you offer? When introducing a new green, it's advised to offer just a small amount to start -- like one small sprig. Then look for any reaction that day. By offering such a small amount, it not only allows you to see if he can tolerate it, but it also lessens the severity of the reaction if there is a reaction. If there is no reaction, it also gives the gut flora time to adjust to the new food and develop the enzymes for its digestion.

So, that said, it could be that your rabbit simply cannot tolerate this particular green. Some rabbits can be sensitive to a specific green. OR, it could be that he wasn't given ample time (slowly) to adapt to the new green.

Once he's back to his normal self again, bear this in mind for any future introductions of any new greens/herbs. Start small and slow.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Latest posts

Back