FREEZING WATER BOTTLES

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v5rocks

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestion's on how to keepwater bottles from freezing up???

You could try wrapping them up in an old sock toinsulate them a bit but I just found that the spout will still freezeno matter what you try.:?I always switch over to water bowlsinstead in the winter, they are a lot harder to freeze.:)

:yeahthat

If you have trouble getting your bunny to use a bowl instead, put itunder the bottle and they should get the hang of it, and get a nonspill or very heavy bowl so it can't be tipped up.:)

The metalfonts freeze very quickly, so wrapping the bottle doesn't help at all. Use crocks in the winter.

Pam

Thanks for Your suggestions, thats pretty much what we've been doing...

I thought about wrapping the bottles with a ice melter that goes in thegutter but I'm afraid the little stinkers would get a hold of it a eatit!!

When I was at Petsmart the other day Isaw a product that's designed for bird baths and outdoor pet dishes; itis a coil with cord that is made to keep water from freezing in thewinter. Has anyone ever seen this? Perhaps that might work in outdoorrabbit dishes. It looked a bit big, but I didn't really read thepackage to see how it worked (i.e., how you hooked it up to the dishaside from putting the coil in the water).

Bassetluv wrote:
When I was at Petsmart the other day I saw aproduct that's designed for bird baths and outdoor pet dishes; it is acoil with cord that is made to keep water from freezing in the winter.Has anyone ever seen this? Perhaps that might work in outdoor rabbitdishes. It looked a bit big, but I didn't really read the package tosee how it worked (i.e., how you hooked it up to the dish aside fromputting the coil in the water).

sounds interesting, perhaps you could go back to petsmart and find out more about it!

hunnybunny63 wrote:
sounds interesting, perhaps you could go back to petsmartand find out more about it!
I know, I should have taken more notice of it when I was there. In thewintertime I don't go out to PetSmart all that often, so I triedfinding it on their website, but didn't see anything listed. However, Idid find birdbath heaters listed at PetVet Supply...here's a link:

http://www.petvetsupply.com/bird-equipment-birdbath-heaters-and-accessories.html

I *think* that on the package of the one I saw at Petsmart, it said itwas made for birdbaths and animal dishes. I suppose if you were lookingfor something for a rabbit crock, you couldcontact Pet VetSupply (or any other company that carries this product) and ask them ifthese can be used in outdoor crocks...or even if smaller models aremade to fit smaller water dishes. You'd have to be able to run anextension cord to the cages obviously, but if you could do that,something like this might be of use.

Just a thought, anyway...if I find out anything else I'll let you know. :)

Back