First time getting a rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocker_chick0688

Reaction score
I'm about to get a rabbit for the first time,and I was wondering what all do you need to care for them, and likewhat all do you need to buy for them when you first get them. I have afriend that's going to help me, because she's owned rabbits before, butI would like to get as much info as I can on my own.
Thanx I appreciate it!
Sasha

Welcome to the forum Rocker_chick0688,

That is very good of you to find as much information as youcan before getting a rabbit. Ispent 2 to 3 months on this forum getting ideas andinformation before I adopted my bunny Pebbles. I am a first time petowner.Good luck with your search. Here isa link that you must read first.........

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=3005&forum_id=1

Rainbows! :)

Hi Sasha, as Pet_Bunny has pointed out , the cheat sheet is a great place to start for info and useful tips,
my advice is read, read and more reading,
if you look up in the centre of your screen you will see asearch window, that little box is like my best friend , you can searchthrough old posts on anything particular, or just click back throughold posts and have a read, it's amazing the things you will pick up on.

Welcome and have fun!;)

Congratulations! Bunnies are amazing to have and you are gonna love 'em!

I would buy: Nice big cage, scooper (cage cleaning purposes),carrier, hay/ pellets/other healthy food, playpen, litterbox, bedding,brushes, nail trimmers, & I also have grooming gloves thatkinda suck in the fur they shed when you pet them. Those arejust some things that I own and use. The cheat sheet isreally great and helpful, so i'd print or save it:D

~Caitlin~

Firstly thinkabout your climate where you live and how much time you have for yourbunny each day as these factors will help decide to have a indoor oroutdoor bunny. If you live in a hot/cold climate with predators and youare away for the day then having an indoor bunny would be best as it issafer and you can spend more time with it. Outdoor bunnys are fine tooas i have some! As long as you spend time with them and they are safethen they are fine. As dixonsrabbitry said reading lots of books ishelpfull as some will have things in that others don't. Ifliving outside then buy a big, safe hutch which is raised of the ground(size wise think the rabbit needs to be able to stand up on its backlegs with its ears up and not tough the roof and needs to be able tostrech out in both directions and do afew hops in both directions. Makesure that the back is quite big as i have seen bed areas that aretiny!! Mine is bigger than the day area. There are lots of ideas forindoor living, puppy pens, indoor hutches or dog cages and there areloads more ideas! Also buy your bun lots of toys and feed it hay,greens and pellets every day along with fesh water. If you are worriedabout your bun being lonley if you go to work/school during the day youcan buy a friend but be careful introducing them! It's best to buy twowhich have already bonded (and if 2 bucks or a doe and a buck make surethey are neutered/spayed).

Congratulations on getting a newbunny and i hope you have a great time together. You've made a greatchoice (bunnies are great pets!!):bunnydance:

Hi and welcome!

There's been a lot of good advice posted before me, so I'm just goingto add some things. Have some basic idea about sizes ofbreeds, so you'll know how big they get and can get a big enoughcage. Most pet store cages made for rabbits will onlyaccomodate a single dwarf breed (if that), maybe something as big as amini rex which is still not very big at all. You could alsolook into building an NIC cage. If you get a wire bottom cagegive them something solid to rest on. Rabbits can belitterbox trained, especially if they are spayed/neutered.

Read up on rabbit diet and know what they need. Fiber isvery, very important but many popular commercial rabbit pellets don'thave enough.

Rabbits are very smart creatures and get bored in the traditional emptyhutch. Search the forum for toys- there are a lot of goodsuggestions. Many are free or cheap, such as a cardboard tubefrom toilet paper that is stuffed with hay.

If you want a spayed/neutered pet as opposed to a show bunny, lookaround at shelters in your area. More and more shelters aretaking in rabbits. I'm adopting one from a local sheltertomorrow.:D Since they are already spayed/neutered, you'llhave a better idea of their personality than you would with an 8 weekold baby. They can also have a wide variety of breeds, so youmight be able to find a specific breed that you are looking for.

You're off to a good start. I'm really glad you asked aboutcare before you got your rabbit. When you get her (or him)tell us all about her and give us pictures if you can. Welove hearing about other people's rabbits here.:D

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have belonged to this forum for about a month and a halfand I will be taking home my first bunnies in a week. Let me assure youthat this is an awesome place for information. You have made a good,responsible decision by doing research prior to getting a bunny.Definitely check out the cheat sheet.

Good Luck,
Bunnydude:)

Latest posts

Back