do u have to?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddles740

Reaction score
Do u have to get ur rabbit spayed.if u dont withthat hurt it. one other thing would it mater if u put a flemish giant with a lion head?:huh

Yes, you can bond a flemish with a lionhead..just ask Peg (TinysMom) but don't do it if they're both intact. I'll let everyone else explain the spaying.

In most cases, I believe the benifits out weigh the risks on spaying and neutering. The younger you get them done, the easier they seem to recover. I've had many rabbits spayed and neutered when I was fostering. The young babies got spayed at around 4 months and seemed to recover with in a couple of days. Mom would maybe take one more day then her daughters.

I find thinking of the issue this way helpful. Rabbits are full of hormones, they are hard wired to breed all the time whenever they can as a survival technique. When they are not in the wild, they are not going to be breeding all the time. By spaying or neutering you are helping them get over those urges. They won't be spending their entire lives wanting to mate every minute and it allows them to bond with you and other bunnies better.

There are also health risks involved with not spaying neutered. Because of all those hormones raging through their body, they are very prone to cancer/tumours of the reproductive organs.

I only have one bunny out of my six that is not fixed. And that is only because she's 8 years old and was 7 when I got her, too old for me to take the risk.

I would encourage you to find a good, rabbit savvy vet. With a knowledgable vet, the risk are minimal.

--Dawn

Because I'm at a shelter, and I see way too many homeless rabbits - I do get all of my rabbits fixed.

My biggest concern is because rabbits are so prone to cancer in their reproductive systems. Spaying and neutering reduces if not eliminates the cancer potential.

Rabbits' seem to calm down more. They don't spray, and are no longer the insane hormonal hyper-active rabbit.

There are quite a few advantages to spaying and neutering your rabbit - some even believe your rabbit lives longer as a result. But proving that would be a little difficult I assume.

I think the assumption made that your rabbit will live longer spayed is because they are less likely to succumb early in life to cancer.

I am all for spaying. I got an older doe last year and she was off the wall wanting to be bred. She was mounting everything, and just acting like she was not happy overall. I got her spayed and the very next day was back to herself. Within a week she was calm, happy, and friendly. Since then I have seen a big improvement in her personality and attitude, she is so sweet and loving and isn't so preoccupied with wanting to be bred.

I am all for spaying unless health issues prevent it.

Ideally rabbits should be spayed between 6 months - 3 years, so no, it's not too late! My oldest doe was spayed at 4.5 years of age and she recovered better/faster than most babies do!

I just got my Maisie spayed a few weeks ago, and she was 2yrs, and recovered quite wonderfully.

She's also a good example of WHY to spay girl buns...as she had precancerous cells in her uterus, so we saved her life by getting her spayed!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

Same with Hazel. She also was 2 and pre-cancerous, and recovered very well.

maherwoman wrote:
I just got my Maisie spayed a few weeks ago, and she was 2yrs, and recovered quite wonderfully.

She's also a good example of WHY to spay girl buns...as she had precancerous cells in her uterus, so we saved her life by getting her spayed!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

Latest posts

Back