Discipline?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I'm a first time rabbit owner(I have two males one is neutered the other is pending)their names are Lewis(a Dutch)and Clark(a Satin). Both of my boys are very well behaved but every now and then they get into mischief. Since this is my first time I don't know how to correctly discipline them. Whenever one accidentally bites me I usually just say "Ow!" Really loudly(then they usually lick the spot where they accidentally bit me XD). Whenever they get into something(IE: chewing a book or cord,destroying my carpet) I either clap my hands and they stop or I hold their head down and firmly say no. Am I doing the right things? I don't want to harm them. I've had them since mid April.

Not sure if this helps but they're kept separate until Lewis is mature enough to get neutered.

That sounds about right to me. I do the same things. If they're destroying your carpet, then I would suggest that you cover it with cardboard or a tile, so they can't get to the carpet anymore.
Also, make a preemptive strike against disciplinary issues. Like, if the carpet is an issue cover it. If the they're chewing on your furniture, rub some ivory soap on it(just the plain white bar), make sure the cords are up or the books. Its all about trial and error with finding out what they can and will get into.
But the discipline stuff sounds about right for what they're doing.

When Ellie gets into something she shouldn't, I make a loud noise then shoo her away from whatever it is, then give her something that she can have. Like if she's trying to harm my rug, I push her away then give her a toilet paper tube. Things like that.
I would also try to make sure that they have enough stuff to play with and get into thats allow. I'm sure you have stuff for them to play with, but a box goes a long way with a rabbit!

In what way are they biting you? Like a nip, like they're grooming your pants and nip you through the material? I think thats the way they groom because they nibble on other rabbits. I would just continue to say OW though, that might help. But they could just be telling you they love you!

That sounds about right to me. I do the same things. If they're destroying your carpet, then I would suggest that you cover it with cardboard or a tile, so they can't get to the carpet anymore.
Also, make a preemptive strike against disciplinary issues. Like, if the carpet is an issue cover it. If the they're chewing on your furniture, rub some ivory soap on it(just the plain white bar), make sure the cords are up or the books. Its all about trial and error with finding out what they can and will get into.
But the discipline stuff sounds about right for what they're doing.

When Ellie gets into something she shouldn't, I make a loud noise then shoo her away from whatever it is, then give her something that she can have. Like if she's trying to harm my rug, I push her away then give her a toilet paper tube. Things like that.
I would also try to make sure that they have enough stuff to play with and get into thats allow. I'm sure you have stuff for them to play with, but a box goes a long way with a rabbit!

In what way are they biting you? Like a nip, like they're grooming your pants and nip you through the material? I think thats the way they groom because they nibble on other rabbits. I would just continue to say OW though, that might help. But they could just be telling you they love you!

They have plenty of stuff,their favorite is a Lego Block(Clark) and a plastic bracelet(Lewis) they don't tear the carpet too often. Just when there happens to be a stray thread sticking out. Clark is VERY naughty when it comes to cords. Lewis usually just hops up to me,takes the cord and flings it away from me(when I'm not paying attention to him) and gives me a dirty look. On the shirts,many shirts I've had to throw away because of them chewing through them. They give me small nibbles but they've never left a mark/drawn blood,and personally I don't think they have it in them!

I think they're just grooming you and thats what the nibbles mean. My rabbit likes to walk behind me and nudge my back and then nip my back. It hurts! But I do the same thing, say OW pretty loud and try to shoo her away from my back.
Bunnies are just mischievous little creatures! Trust me, I think I may have one of the worst out there. haha.

When it comes to the biting, youre definitely doing the right thing. I think it's important to let them know that they're hurting you. I usually go with a high pitched squeal. They may use their teeth when they groom eachother and that won't hurt, but you don't have enough fur to pad you.

As for being destructive, I think the best approach is just making sure they don't have access to anything you really care about. Definitely be sure that all your cords are covered. Buns think those taste delicious but can easily electrocute themselves. Keep your books out of their reach and give them their own instead (phone books are really fun to destroy). If they're carpet chewers, I'd recommend covering the carpet in their area with other flooring and supervising them when they have access to other carpet.

Total agreement with Christina. Always tell people when you interact with your animals only an idiot thinks they understand baby talk--you treat canines like canines and rabbits like rabbits and the key thing to remember is that you are the ALPHA and they will respect you and still be an enjoyable companion. The only way to halt destruction is to block, barricade and totally deny access to anything you want to remain pristine. The furniture in the family room has all been listed as "sacrificial".

Thank you for all your wonderful answers! My Dad recently gave me an old bed sheet and we now set them on that and call it "The Bunny Sheet" which they are allowed to chew on to their hearts content. We've also begun charging our electrical devices in the bathroom or kitchen which they have no interest in to keep us from needing to buy new chargers.

Latest posts

Back