Destructive behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi

Reaction score
I have 2 male rabbits, both of which have been fixed for years. Recently, one of them has been causing a lot of destruction. He has chewed wires, destroyed the pen flooring (which I have had to change twice in less than six months), damaged walls, and furniture, and even eaten 3+ litter boxes. I had to switch to a metal litter box to stop him from destroying it. He has also chewed anything plastic, shoes, and bookcases. They both have 28 sq ft of living area, but if the destructive rabbit wouldn't try to harm the other one(former bond mates, but it broke and they have since resisted any rebonding attempts), they would have a full 48 sq ft living space. They also have full house access on alternating days for 12 hours at a time. I provide them with lots of hides, toys, chews, dig boxes, forage mats, and plenty of attention and playtime. Despite all of this, the destructive rabbit is medically healthy, just slightly overweight.

Any tips?

Did the destructive behavior start or increase after you had to separate him from his buddy?

It started afterward. I know the separation may be a reason for it, but he will full-on attack (he goes right for the belly with his back claws and will not stop I have been injured through oven mitts due while trying to stop the fight) the other bunny if put together. Right now, they're only separated by a single-layer ex-pen that splits their pen down the middle, and they do tend to cuddle and groom through it. He will at times try to go after the other bunny using his back claws. And I have seen even during rebounding attempts when he will attack his former buddy even if he submits to his dominance. that's why they're most likely forever separated.

He may be doing it then, from frustration at feeling territorial and not being able to get to your other rabbit to chase him away. Or if he does actually groom your other rabbit through the bars, maybe on some level he does think he wants to be together but then flips when you actually attempt bonding.

But you're right. They can't be together. I'd even say, you should make absolutely sure they can't ever somehow accidentally end up getting into the other rabbits enclosure. Going for the belly like that, is pretty much an intent to eviscerate and kill your other rabbit. So that is full on aggressive fighting, not just trying to sort out dominance. So yeah, there shouldn't be any more bonding attempts with them unfortunately.

I have a few ideas to try and reduce the destructive behavior. First would be to limit their visual contact. If you're able to move one rabbit to an entirely different part of your home, so they can't see or even hardly hear each other, that would be ideal. But if that isn't an option, I'd suggest trying putting up a solid barrier between their enclosures. You could use something like cardboard taped or zip tied to the enclosure panels. You just have to block their ability to see each other.

The idea is to cut off being visually triggered by the other rabbit. If your rabbits destructive behavior is mostly due to territorial aggression, then eliminating visual contact may help. But it also may not be enough if your rabbit is also being triggered just hearing your other rabbit.

Another possibility is providing your rabbit with a full size stuffie. To either take out his aggression on, or to cuddle up with. Though you would need to make sure if he decides to destroy it, that he isn't trying to ingest the bits he rips off (digestive blockage danger).

Lastly the more difficult suggestion. Find each rabbit their own bonded companion. Preferably a female, and from a shelter or rescue that has already fixed rabbits that allows bunny dates to find the right match. For ease of bonding and minimal stress, I'd suggest going with a match where both rabbits seem to be immediately interested in each other and it's 'love at first sight'. Then they will have their own companion and should be distracted enough with that to hopefully lose interest in that conflict with each other.

It's difficult having 2 rabbits that hate each other, I know. I had 2 spayed girls that I had hoped to bond, but they hated each other and went on instant attack. So I ended up having to separate a bonded pair and bond each girl with one of those buns. Not ideal, but the only way everyone could have a bonded companion in my situation.

When I first got the aggressive rabbit, he was supposed to be a temporary foster, but we ended up keeping him. We got him neutered, and after his hormones settled down, he and our other rabbit started to seek each other out and cuddle and groom each other through the bars of their enclosures (they still do this). I tried to bond them, and they lived together peacefully for 10 months without any issues.

However, after a vet trip, the aggressive rabbit viciously attacked the other one. Since then, they have been separated. I attempted to rebond them a year ago, but the aggression was so intense that I decided to let them live separately, as they seemed content seeing each other but not sharing space. The destructive behavior has been increasing since July, when we expanded their enclosures.

Prior to that, they had minimal living space with a divided enclosure. Interestingly, if they lose sight of each other, they start searching for the other. When I took the aggressive rabbit to the vet alone, the other one sulked all day, and the same happened when I took the other one to the vet. Cause I am fully up for putting a piece of wood between them so they can't see each other ( I have no way to to make it so they can't hear each other as I have a small place and gave them the majority of my dining room. and downstairs is open concept except for the kitchen, upstairs is just bedrooms and the bathroom) I'm trying to find a solution that doesn't involve me sending one to a shelter or rescue..

Back