Intense Stomach Gurgling - Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
I have never heard such intense stomach gurgling from Wrangler. This stasis episode is the worse by far.

I really don't know what to do at this point. It's 3:05 in the morning and I have been pumping him periodically with fluids, food, and infant gas-relief drops. It only seems to be getting worse.

If he's not better by morning, I am going to have to take him to the vet. I really was hoping and praying that it wouldn't come to this.

I don't know if anyone is up and can offer me some support or advice. I just feel so bad for him and there's nothing that I can do to make him feel better :(

Last edited:
You don't want to give him fluids and food... best thing is just tummy massages and hay, if he'll eat it. How is he acting?

sas :/

I'm so sorry. I know how scary these situations can be. It sounds like he has a build up of gas which is evident by the loud gurgling. This could be causing quite a bit of pain and discomfort. I know in your other thread you mentioned you were only giving him a drop or two of Simethicone because you were unsure how to measure 1 cc. It is the same as 1 mL. So go ahead and give him that if you haven't done so already. It should at least provide him with some relief.

Thank you for the replies. It has been a long night and he still isn't feeling better. It's almost 6:00 AM now my time.

I just syringed him some water because I am worried about dehydration. I had given him the Pedia Care Infant Relief Gas Drops earlier last night but it didn't seem to help comfort him whatsoever. He only got worse.

He is so lethargic now. The only somewhat positive news is that his stomach isn't as loud and violent as it sounded a couple of hours ago. But it's not enough improvement to make me feel better.

If he still hasn't improved in a couple of hours, I am going to see about taking him to the vet.

UPDATE

Wrangler is very lethargic, however his stomach gurgling has settled somewhat it seems. He's still in quite a bit of pain though.

I just got off the phone with my vet office and there are no available vets today that would be able to see him. The closest rabbit-knowledgeable vet clinics are about 30-45 minutes from where I live. I have my last, huge final today so there is no way I can make it up there and back.

I am totally stressing out. I am scared of losing my rabbit.

I really need help of what steps to take next.

I have been syringing him water and I just gave him another dose of Infant Gas-Relief Drops. I know that he needs to eat, but I am scared that will only add to whatever is blocked in his system.

I read online that I could give him Banamine - which I have in the fridge for our horses. I just don't know how much to give.

If anything else, I could run to the store and get him pineapple and pumpkin. But at this point I don't know how much that will help.

I would get some pumpkin for him. High fiber and it tends to get everything moving. You can get the plain canned pumpkin or squash baby food. I usually give the baby food.
I don't know about the pineapple juice, because its high in sugar and the sugar won't help with the stasis issues. I may be wrong.
I'm not sure about the banamine either.

Make sure he has ample hay available to munch on if the mood should strike him. The thing with the gas drops is, they don't take the gas away, the break the big bubbles into smaller bubbles and make them easier to move around and less painful.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this! :pray:

I would get some pumpkin for him. High fiber and it tends to get everything moving. You can get the plain canned pumpkin or squash baby food. I usually give the baby food.
I don't know about the pineapple juice, because its high in sugar and the sugar won't help with the stasis issues. I may be wrong.
I'm not sure about the banamine either.

Make sure he has ample hay available to munch on if the mood should strike him. The thing with the gas drops is, they don't take the gas away, the break the big bubbles into smaller bubbles and make them easier to move around and less painful.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this! :pray:

Thank you whitelop for responding. I am getting ready to head to the store to go get some pumpkin. I am going to stock up on pumpkin, pineapple, some fresh veggies, pedialyte, and a banana...however, I know that the pineapple and banana are high in sugar, so I won't be giving that to him right away.

I am going to go ahead with the pumpkin. Can I just syringe it to him? It would be great if he ate it on his own.

I sure do wish I had the Critical Care on hand. I've never heard of it until now.

Mash up his pellets with water and maybe some pumpkin and feed that to him. If he eats the pumpkin on his own, that would be great. If not, syringe it to him. The same with the mashed pellet slurry. I would do pumpkin first then see how he does, then do the slurry if he seems a little better.

Remember lots of tummy massages too. I think cilantro is good for the tummy, if he'll eat it. Make sure to give it wet to help with hydration.

There are some cases of stasis where feeding them won't help them, when there is a complete blockage and if he has bloat. In those cases you have to get your rabbit to the vet. I'm very concerned about the lethargy. It's not a good indication and a vet really needs to see your rabbit at this point. I'm really sorry you're in this situation and I hope you are able to work something out. Try your vet office again, tell them it's an emergency and that your rabbit is becoming lethargic. Maybe they will find a way to fit you in.

So I've returned from the grocery store and I've loaded up on pumpkin, romaine lettuce, pineapple, bananas, and pedialyte.

I added some water to the pumpkin so that I could syringe it easily to him. He seemed to like it. I also put some in his dish to entice him to eat it on his own. Maybe he will later.

I also gave him some of the pedialyte and more water. He acted like he wanted to drink water from his bowl, but then kept turning his nose up to it. So I syringed him water after the electrolytes.

I am going to give his system a chance to take all of that in before I give him anymore/anything else.

He's gurgling seems to be quieting down, but I can still tell he is uncomfortable. I massaged him a lot last night, but I read somewhere that massaging can actually make the problem worse if there is a blockage?

He at least seems to be somewhat alert in the sense that he is moving his ears around to listen and he hates the fact that he is a dirty mess right now with his mouth and front paws being damp. He's gotten up a couple of times to wash his face.

As for poops, I haven't seen any today yet. He maybe pooped 3 little fecal balls last night - but that's it.

I am thankful that I can spend mot of the day with him here at home. My final is later in the evening - hopefully he'll be fine alone for a couple of hours.

It would be beyond great if whatever is ailing him would pass before my final however. That would just completely ease my mind.

There are some cases of stasis where feeding them won't help them, when there is a complete blockage and if he has bloat. In those cases you have to get your rabbit to the vet. I'm very concerned about the lethargy. It's not a good indication and a vet really needs to see your rabbit at this point. I'm really sorry you're in this situation and I hope you are able to work something out. Try your vet office again, tell them it's an emergency and that your rabbit is becoming lethargic. Maybe they will find a way to fit you in.

It's not the fact that they can't fit me in - it's because they don't have any rabbit knowledgeable vets on duty today. However they'll be in tomorrow.

The closest rabbit savvy vets are all at least 30-45 minutes away from me and I have to take a college final this evening. I am definitely in a rut.

I need my baby boy to get better or he is going to have to wait till tomorrow...I just hope and pray he'll pull through before then.

This is such a deadly condition it is vital that you take your bunny to a vet. One sign of advanced stasis can be smaller poops due to the intestinal tract slowing. Normal bacterial flora is reduced and muscle contractions of the stomach & intestines is drastically slowed. The bunny shows signs of hunching over with a painful abdomen.
Can you call the school/college and ask the instructor if you can take your exam later in the day. OR...can you get someone else to take the bunny to a vet for you?
Things you can do to help:
1) massage abdomen with gentle deep rubs
2) "Cisapride or metoclopromide" are meds that can stimulate intestines
3) Simethicone helps break down gas to ease bloating
4) Keep adding fluid to bunny
5) Cyproheptadine will increase bunny's appetite to encourage eating hay
6) Hay and mixed green (leaf lettuce, kale, parsley or cilantro will help. Also,
7) "Oxbow Critical Care powdered dietary supplement mixed with water & syringe fed can give needed nutrition & fiber to get the gut moving again."
BOTTOM LINE: This condition is so serious you really should seek vet help right away. If the gut stops working altogether it is almost impossible to get it back working.

Last edited:
Just do the best you can. It sounds like a difficult situation for you.

If he's alert enough to be washing his face, then it doesn't seem like he is too lethargic, which is good. If the lethargy is because of loss of electrolytes, then the pedialyte should help. I'm glad the gurgling seems to be settling down. You are doing everything you can for him and hopefully he'll keep improving.

Britts bunny.... Can you take your book(s) with you to study for your exam while you wait in the vet's office that is further away? I understand how difficult it is to get a bunny-knowledgeable vet...but please take the time to take your bunny in and study while you wait. I have been there/done that while in nursing school for BSN.

If you had left right after you started posting you could have been at the vet's already. Please take your baby in.

Last edited:
Or you could just take him there and make them see him.

I don't want to have to take him to a vet that doesn't have the slightest clue about rabbits - there's a better chance that I would know more than he or she would unfortunately!

I am seriously doing the best I can in this situation. Obviously if I didn't have a final hanging over my head I would rush him to a rabbit savvy vet immediately.

I really hope his tract doesn't stop working. I have many people praying for him including myself.

This is seriously a miserable day. Nothing is going right.

This is my last final of the semester, it's at 5:30 PM, and I still have loads of more studying to do. Unfortunately in college, professors (especially this one) don't give you a lot of grace. I am not trying to weigh which is more valuable, my rabbit or college, because they are both extremely important to me.

It's just rough because my rabbit is very ill on the day of my final. I am so aggravated and I feel completely helpless. I honestly just want to cry because I am doing the best I can in this particular situation.

Britts bunny.... Can you take your book(s) with you to study for your exam while you wait in the vet's office that is further away? I understand how difficult it is to get a bunny-knowledgeable vet...but please take the time to take your bunny in and study while you wait. I have been there/done that while in nursing school for BSN.

If you had left right after you started posting you could have been at the vet's already. Please take your baby in.

I understand. But I am writing a paper in the process (like as of right now) which is also due this evening - it's 10% of my final exam grade. I am literally about to flip out. I have this test weighing on my shoulders and now because I couldn't get him into the vet. I don't even know which vet to take him to that is outside of town! So that means calling and calling and getting directions and being stuck in this rain and I don't even have a proper carrier for him (it's at my boyfriend's)...like everything is adding up. I am at a loss. And if he does pass on, I am going to completely blame myself.

What a horrible way to end the semester.

Is there someone else who can take him in for you. I do understand about most vets not being capable of treating bunnies. I know that you will do better on your final if you know your precious bunny will be ok.

I also know how hard it is to deal with the stress of college deadlines and pressures and be worried about the health of such a beloved pet.

Latest posts

Back