Training your rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddie_20

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well my parents are getting a little irritated with my bun cause shewill run into their room as soon as she sees the door openandi don't know how to make it so that she doesn't go there regardless ofthe door being open or not. she is still only 3 months old so i amhoping that i will soon be able to teach her not to go where sheshouldn't go.

Any suggestions would be great.

thanks Maddie_20 :)

im surprised your bun doesnt just go through the towel :p

oh i forgot to mention, some people say don't punish your bun but i doin a specific manner. most of you know that i let my buns roam aroundwhereever they want except the laundry room because they like to hindbehind the water boiler and i cant go back there to get them. so todaywhile i was doing some laundry, apple snuck into the laundry room andwent behind the heater and i had to wait patiently for her to come out,the way i punish my buns is to IMMEDIATELY put the onewho was bad, back into their cage for about 30 mins to 60 minutes for atime out.

normally this works best for me in teaching them not to do something.the time out cage should be very plain, no water, no food, no toys,just plain bedding, nothing for them to chew on. if your bun doessomething bad, you have to use the punishment right away. if you waittoo long, they'll resent you and think your punishing them for noreason.

my bun loves to run behind our entertainment setin the basement and nothing has been able to stop her! i've triedlocking her in her cage, putting my hand on her shoulders to showdominance, saying NO!!!, putting up blockages.. so i'm thinking ofinvesting in a watergun :pbut i don't think i'll ever reallywin.. my mom says that she acts just like me.. so it's like fightingwith yourself!

We have a baby gate up, to keep them in the spacedesignated for them. Of course, your parents may not want a baby gateup in their doorway.

actually a spray bottle would be better and when you're not using it on your bun, you can use it for ironing :p lol

using blocks will only encourage them to jump over them or knock thingsdown. to me, it's just a way of teasing them and making them think ofways on how to get around it. plus it's a hassle to move it back andforth. if you're punishing them when they're bad, you also have toremember to reward them when they're good or else they'll never listen/

Ken, using a blockaide for rabbits has beenworking for me for years. I know several others here who do the samething successfully.

Please keep in mind that we all have our own ways with things, and notonly one way (yours basically) is the right way. Thank you.

ken wrote:
im surprised your bun doesnt just go through the towel :p

oh i forgot to mention, some people say don't punish your bun but i doin a specific manner. most of you know that i let my buns roam aroundwhereever they want except the laundry room because they like to hindbehind the water boiler and i cant go back there to get them. so todaywhile i was doing some laundry, apple snuck into the laundry room andwent behind the heater and i had to wait patiently for her to come out,the way i punish my buns is to IMMEDIATELY put the onewho was bad, back into their cage for about 30 mins to 60 minutes for atime out.

normally this works best for me in teaching them not to do something.the time out cage should be very plain, no water, no food, no toys,just plain bedding, nothing for them to chew on. if your bun doessomething bad, you have to use the punishment right away. if you waittoo long, they'll resent you and think your punishing them for noreason.

Should a bun be punished by NOT having food & water for 30 to60 minutes? Isn't that a long time for them to go withoutfood and water? I thought rabbits should always (always) haveaccess to food and water...? Is that incorrect?Does this punishment work for anyone else?

well she went into my parents room again todayand i put her in her cage but this time with only water and beddingnothing else.. and when i opened the top of the cage she somehow "magically" jumped out of her cage and went straight to her litter boxin the washroom.. I think she got the picture that she can't go thereanymore, but we will have to see what happens

PLease Please Please

Disregard what Ken said. He is an idiot andhasabsolutely no clue about rabbits. You DO NOT ever withhold foodor water as punishment. I hate to seem harsh here but that is sodangerous.

A rabbits system is in constant motion. Withholding food canslow the system down and can lead to GI Stasis. Rabbits dehydrate veryquickly and can actually die from it.

See if your parents will put up something to block her. If not try the water.

Tina

dajeti2 wrote:
PLease Please Please

Disregard what Ken said. He is an idiot andhasabsolutely no clue about rabbits. You DO NOT ever withhold foodor water as punishment. I hate to seem harsh here but that is sodangerous.

A rabbits system is in constant motion. Withholding food canslow the system down and can lead to GI Stasis. Rabbits dehydrate veryquickly and can actually die from it.

See if your parents will put up something to block her. If not try the water.

Tina

Hey Tina, I am so glad you replied! That is kinda what Ithought. I didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all respondingto Ken, but I HAD to bring it up. Just wanted to make sure Iam on the right track with taming my buns. Thanks for theadvice :D

Kricket, no at all. I am really so gladyou did say something. Misinformation like thatcan't beallowed to go unanswered. Kudos to you for being on the ball. Way togo.

Tina

Yeah, I would never put any animal in theircrate/cage/kennel without food and water. They would start toassociate it with something negative and refuse to go in it.If my rabbit is being naughty and clapping or the spray bottle doesn'twork, then he goes back in his cage. He still has food,water, and toys in it. The same thing goes for my dog and hiskennel - food and water. They know they have done somethingwrong by the fact that you are restricting their movements.

maddie we use the NIC cubes but made into a barrier, and we put themalong the doorways that Bindy isn't allowed into, it's high enough forher not to jump (yet anyway) and low enough for us to step over, wehave them in a straight line and block the doorway, they soon learnwhere they can and can't go.

good luck and bunnies are much like babies, consistancy is the key,keep on the same track and stick to it, if you say no to them for goingsomewhere they aren't supposed to follow through and continue saying nowhen they return to that spot.

They WILL Get the idea it just takes time and patience :)

When I bred my Leo to Bell, I had to remove Copper. I set him in the extra cage that we have next door.

He shares a cage with leo so he can't be in there while breeding.

Is it ok to have him in that extra cage for 20 min. with out water/food?

It'll be fine, as long as it's not something that happens constantly.

They don't eat constantly 24-7 (gotta get in those long hours of bunnynaps ya know), so I think him being there for that time is fine.

Sebastian goes forcar rides and stuff like that with us and he doesn't have food or waterfor 30 minutes or more at a time. He's always been just fine. If wetake him for longer than that he has his litter box on the floor board,a bowl of water and treats, pellets or something to munch on! :)

Raspberry

Latest posts

Back