Switching from grass to hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ζωή θλίψης

Reaction score
Iam currently trying to change my rabbit's diet from grass to hay but he is so picky with his food. I tried everything that I found online to help me make him accept the hay but it is didn't work. He is so smart and the trick only fools him ones like he will search for the treats and left the hay, I even covered some hay with banana mash and he just lick the bananas and left the hay🥲 he just don't like it.
His teeth is fine and he doesn't have any health problems.Any personal advice about this topic

I had the same issue with a stray domestic rabbit I rescued. What I did was start off taking some of the fresh grass and drying it myself, then offering some of the dried grass along with the fresh grass, and gradually decreasing the fresh grass amount, while increasing the dried, as she was eating the dried better. Then I started adding in the grass hay I bought, to the mix, increasing more of the grass hay while decreasing the grass I dried and the fresh grass. Eventually over a few weeks, I got her almost completely on the hay, with a handful of fresh grass as a treat.

Another thing to consider is your rabbit may not be eating the hay because there's a taste to it he doesn't like, or it's gone bad (look and smell for signs of mold, harmful to feed rabbits). In which case, finding a different source of hay or a different variety of hay could solve the issue.

Grass and hay for rabbits

I had the same issue with a stray domestic rabbit I rescued. What I did was start off taking some of the fresh grass and drying it myself, then offering some of the dried grass along with the fresh grass, and gradually decreasing the fresh grass amount, while increasing the dried, as she was eating the dried better. Then I started adding in the grass hay I bought, to the mix, increasing more of the grass hay while decreasing the grass I dried and the fresh grass. Eventually over a few weeks, I got her almost completely on the hay, with a handful of fresh grass as a treat.

Another thing to consider is your rabbit may not be eating the hay because there's a taste to it he doesn't like, or it's gone bad (look and smell for signs of mold, harmful to feed rabbits). In which case, finding a different source of hay or a different variety of hay could solve the issue.

Grass and hay for rabbits

Oh, a new way I will definitely try it and I hope it will works
Thanks

Latest posts

Back