Moulting in December?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
So the last few days, Gus has been beginning to moult.Which has me really confused. He just moulteda couple months ago (end of August/beginning of September) when the seasons began to change. I didn't expect to see him mouting again until at least March!

The only thing I can think is that the timing seems to correspond with the end of a cold snap we just had and a change in temperature from -5C to+10C in just a few days!

Should I be concerned that he's going to moult in the middle of December?Or is this totally normal for house rabbits?

Thanks!

Rue

Rabbits tend to molt two times a year. ;)

Some of my rabbits are losing a bit of their fur right now, but aren't in a full molt.

I don't know if him being indoors and molting now means he could be sick or not...maybe somebody will come along and help you on that. ;)

Emily

Lola is doing the same thing. It just started Sunday. I thought it was kinda weird that she began to moult right about the beginning of winter. But now that I see Gus is doing it too it must be a weather thing (seeing as we are in the same general area).

My buns are doing the same thing. They just moulted a few months ago and now their doing it again. I'm trying to vaccum everyday, cause it's so bad.

Depends on their change in environment. And I say that purely based upon my experience so far. Kirby molted in Dec last year, which was one month after I adopted him, and molted again in Feb. He was a hutch bun before I got him. He molted this year in the summer and like October instead... So it was more like 3 times in 2009. If your bun is new to your home or his current setup, his molting could be a bit off until he stabilizes. Toby is 9 months old and he seemed to cling onto his baby fur for 6 months and has been shedding like a little monster the last 3 months. Clearly he hasn't quite figured out what to do with himself yet! I think it just depends on environment.

My bun is not moulting right now, but 2 buns that hubby sees once a month down in So IL are moulting bad, he said. Depends on climate as well as environment like others have noted.;)

I'm thankful for no moulting here!:p

Thanks, guys!

Gus was living in a garage before I got him, so just a step above living outside. So I guess he could still be adjusting to living inside the house.

I just hope this moult doesn't last long! I've been plucking fur out of him by the handful! :shock:

Rue

Back