I missed how bad my old girls matting was...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
I noticed that my 10yo Red didn't venture out of the hutch anymore, well she's somewhat athritic and half blind, but she gets along well enough, living together with 5 other does.

I didn't realize how severe the issue already was, a lot of matting that trapped urine, which caused more matting in her neither regions. Today I drugged her with painkiller due to her age and suspected athritis, or athrosis, doesn't matter - started to bath her rear but realized there was too much of everything and began cutting lumps out. What I thought was her tail was in fact just a huge mat.

She isn't an easy doe to handle, starts chewing away on anything in front of her nose when handled, the heat took a toll on me wrangling her in a winter jacket, and I'm still bleeding anyway, but otherwise she's the least dominant and patient girl I ever had that gets along well with every other rabbit. Not me though.

I post this just to point out that mistakes happen, I should have groomed her long ago. I feel bad about it, but, well, I promise we both will get used to that proceedure.
Ran out of Meloxicam now, it's kind of a pita to get it.

Last edited:
It can be hard to keep on top of everything with older animals, as they can have so many issues that need to be monitored. The rump with rabbits can be especially tricky since most rabbits really dislike being touched there. I do understand the difficulty of what you're dealing with. Hopefully you were able to get the mats trimmed away without too much stress... or blood 🥴

Latest posts

Back