How Much Do You Pay For Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
Kaytee Alfalfaand Timothy is just about all I can find here. I get Alfalfa for $2.49 for the mini-bale at PetsMart. Then I saw the same thing at a locally owned pet store for (GULP!) $7.99!!! :shock:

Do you see a HUGE difference in prices according to where you go?

Hugs!

Shorty, Starand Krick

Welcome Kricket,

Nice to hear from you! I actually DO pay around$2.00 for Timothy hay. I do believe that some pet stores just go overthe top! To my opinion, petsmart is much cheaper if you have thepetsmart card. It could actually save you money! Especially when theirare sales on food! :D

Take care now,
Emmy & family.

Well, I buy alfalfa by the bale, so it depends on the time of year. I just paid $9 :shock: But its NICE hay.

The pet store I got Chinny at sells paper bags full of grass hay, notsure on the size, but its like the one you'd get from a liquor store,for $1. Would last her a long time I think.

Virginia

I just bought a bale (horse-sized)oforchard grass for $3.79. This is the cheapest price I'vepaidfor a bale yet.:shock:

The mini bales at Walmart/Kmart/etc. are usually $2-3 here.

in410413_116fb.jpg

THis is the type of Hay that I've bought Emmy sofar. Actually, it's the only hay that I buy Emmy and feed her. Luckily,she loves it and don't see her NOT eating it. The price for thisone rangesfrom $2.79 Not really that bad!

in410241_116c9.jpg

Is this the type of hair that you are particulary asking/ranging about?You can buy it at Petsmart also from ranging the price of $2.49.Cheaper than the timothy hay but particulary few cents more.

Hope this helps! * Store: Petsmart

I get a 2lb bag of Timothy Hay (its good stuffand they seem to eat it better than stuff from Petsmart, etc)...I pay 4bucks for it. I think its alot fresher....it sure smells thatway anyway! I get it at a local feed store.

Woha..2lb hay bag! Great deal! I don't think Ihave any feeding stores around here in Desplaines, IL? Erkk gotta askmy parents. Saving lots of money is awesome!

Katy

I buy hay by the bale, or by a flat from someonesomewhat locally. I think its 3.50 a bale.When I say bale I dont meanpetsmart bale I mean horse size bale. I spend like 10.00 or less a yearon hay.

I only have two rabbits, but I buy grass hay ina bale for $6. Any extra hay is stored in a large tupperware bin underthe front steps, and I have a small container inside that holds about aweek's worth of hay at a time.

I have 2 chinchillas and 1 bun. But they hay isfresher and lasts longer then the stuff you get at petsmart and I cangive them a ton of hay and i dont care if they waste alot because itsso cheap and i have a ton of it.

i get fresh bales from a local farmer for 2.00 a bale :) its 90 lbs worth of hay!

Yea, I meant a horse sized bale too lol

And actually PGG, if you store them right, they can last for a longtime. Just dont want the hay to get damp, or it will mold. Most of thehay your getting from your feed store is more than likely from lastyears crop, just stored in a barn. If the ppl that bale it know whatthey are doing, it stays fresh and good for a long while.

Virginia

I'd LOVE to buy a horse-sized bale!Would it attract varmin? I could keep it outside, but I ampretty sure we have field mice and gophers in the lot behind ourbackyard. I'm just worried about attracting little rodentsand creatures other than buns ;)

I got a 50lb bale of coastal for about $4 at alocal feed store, pay about $7 for a 48 oz bag of Kaytee timothy atPetsmart every few weeks, & order a couple different kinds ofAPD and/or oxbow hay every month from theferretstore.com ($2-$15 foranywhere between 10oz & 5lbs).

I just bought some Timothy Hay from a local pet store today.

It cost $8.00 for about1.8 lbs. :X Usuallythe bagged hay is dry and brown, but the hay I got today wasgreen and fresh looking.

I'm going to have to go down to Calgary (3 hour drive) to get some Oxbow Hay.

Rainbows! :)

At the store I manage, we sell Kaytee Timothy in48 oz bags for $7.99 and I special order 96 oz for $13.99. Iget a 40% discount, so I can't beat that price for Kaytee. Iwant to find someone in my area who sells bales, but I just haven't hadthe time to really look. I store mine in the rabbit room in aRubbermaid Container with the lid off so it doesn't drawdamp.

Jen

I buy mine by the horse sized bale too, forabout $9.00. Some feed stores will sell a partial bale, likethe amount that would fit in a kitchen garbage bag for about $4.00, andits about the equivalent of8 packages of KayTee minibales. I put hay on top of the litter in my buns litter boxesso I'd hate to waste so much just for them to pee on, besides the haythey eat. Many of the House Rabbit Society chapters sellbroken up bales of hay, like a quarter or half bale, or by theflake. You can go tohttp://www.rabbit.org and click onChapters to see if there is one near you. They may also knowof a cheaper source of hay near you.

I buy the kaytee brand at Wal-mart. I think itruns about $3.00 but at the petsmarts here a bag half that size costover twice as much.

I didn't think about getting full size bales at the feed store. That'sa great idea!! I go through alot of hay, probably $20 a week. That'sbetween the guinea pigs, rabbits, box turtle and my tortoise. I'll haveto make a trip to the feed store this week.

Latest posts

Back