carpet and woodwork

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uofmtingley

Reaction score
Hello all, I haven't been around for a while... We moved back in September and Brady took the move extremely well. I mean she did great!!! But, now I have a new problem.

It seems she is in love with digging and chewing the carpet in our new apartment. She was never into the carpet at the old house. I really don't understand because the carpet here is very, very similar. Whenever she is out anymore she within 5 minutes decides to chew and dig at the carpet... That is really no big deal because I can just distract her or shew her away. But now she has taken it to a whole new level...

Her cage sits on an area rug but about 5 inches of the cage hangs over the area rug on the left hand side. I have a rug in her cage with a rubber back that covers the complete bottom of her cage. Her litter box and food are on the end of the cage that sits over the carpet. Well, she has figured out that the rug is not under that little 5 inches of cage. Last night I put her in to go to bed. I walked away for 4 minutes and when I came back she had moved her litter box a good 12 inches, moved her food (knocking it over of course) another 6 inches past her litter box, she was under the rug that is in the cage and digging and chewing at my carpet through the grids on the bottom of the cage.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!! It is like she is a rocket scientist not a rabbit!!!! So at 10:30 at night, here I am moving this 6 foot by 3 foot two story cage (that was tied to my microwave cart with grids to keep her from the decorative wood on the wall behind it) so I could put another rug under that end of the cage until I can figure something out.

It is the same routine with the woodwork... She never chewed the woodwork at the old house but here she seems to love it! IDK if she is going through a phase or if it is because of the move. Maybe the carpet and woodwork here just taste better??? I should also mention that she didn't start this right away. We were here a good 3 months before she started doing this.

Anyways... I am sorry for such a long explanation (I think I needed to vent a bit). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not sure, but how long have you had Brady? Perhaps it's just a small phase?

My Ms Bunpants digs into the futon and covers like a rocket scientist (I think she's trying to dig her way to China to visit some bunny friends over there) around this time of the year. Also a special corner of baseboard. Spring and fall.

I'm guessing that Brady is probably digging to prepare for her "babies." The furious digging will go away after a few days/weeks.

You can try to offer more branches and cardboard boxes to see if that will help.

Taking a big-enough cardboard box, flattening it out, & covering the area should be a good temporary solution.

Does she have a dig box? That should give her something harmless to dig.

Back