Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risingstar

Reaction score
I'm going tomarrow to adopt my firstbunny. One of them that I'm interested in is 8 yrs.old. How long do rabbits usually live? I know itcan vary alot, but just on average. Also,do certain types generally live longer than others? I'mplanning on going to the West L.A. shelter. Any tips for myadoption would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yay for LA Animal Services. (I'm a volunteer at East Valley.)

I've heard they live up to about 10 years, but that it really dependson the bunny. That would certainly be more of a seniorrabbit. I'm looking on their website and not seeing thatrabbit. Which one is it?

Something to keep in mind is, if you're looking for more than one, theyoften have multiple already housed together (already bonded).

If they got that specific on age, that would mean that that rabbit hadbeen turned in by its owner. It is hard to tell a rabbit'sage once they are full grown.

Good luck. Don't forget to bring your $50, and your own carrier unless you'd like to buy a $5 cardboard one from them.

Most rabbits live till they are about 8-10however with the right care I've heard of rabbits living into theirearly teens. Also generally small breeds live longer thanlarge breeds but again it depends on the individual rabbit.

the average of what i heard is between 6 and 8years. my rabbit is 15 years old but he also is starting to have somehealth problems.:bunnydance:

Thanks for the info. I have to run towork. I found out that my BF may have to work when we wereplanning on going to the shelter, so I'm going to see if hewill mind if I go by myself since he doesn't care which one we get aslong as I like it. Plus, I could go straight fromwork and it'll save me some travel time. I don't think the 8yr. old was at theshelter I'm planning on going to,but there is a 5yr. old lop that is adorable. I'm going toask the people at the shelter for their suggestion and go more bythat. I'll be sure to get a carrier and bring withme. Hopefully next time I post, I'll be a new bunnymom!!!

An 8 year old could still have some happy,healthy years left in his/her lifetime. My first bunny livedto be 11.5 and was very active up until the day he passedaway. I think it is great that you are adopting an olderrabbit, as they may get passed over for adoption because of their age.

Congrats on adopting! I just adoptedtwo from the shelter where I volunteer. My youngest passedaway at 2 (small mix) and my oldest at 11 (fuzzy lop). Itdepends on the bunny, but I am seeing that large breeds tend to passaway at younger ages (my flemish and english lops). Good luck!

Back